Police Officer



(Translated by Saya)

I was beat after a long day at work.
When I reached my apartment block and tried to get in the elevator, there was already a man inside it.
He stood there with a cap drawn deeply over his forehead as if he were trying to hide his face.
What a creepy guy - I thought. But I could do nothing but give him a brief greeting and get in with him.

He didn't respond to my greeting but just stood there keeping his head bowed.
The man got off the elevator before me, but just as he was getting out his shoulder bumped into me.
I apologised "Oh, sorry," just to be polite, but he ignored me and walked away, still keeping his head bowed.

When I returned to my room, I looked at the part of my body where he had bumped into, and found some blood on my clothes.
"What the hell? Disgusting!" I thought, but didn't think anything more of it.

A few days later, when my room's doorbell rang, I looked through the peephole and saw a police officer standing outside.

"Excuse me, Madam, but a few days ago we had a murder case in this building. Have you seen any supicious looking persons around here?" Asked the police officer.

The question brought to mind the creepy guy in the elevator.
But I was watching an interesting TV drama at the time, and if I told the police officer I saw someone I would probably have to spend a long time being questioned by him, and I was just too lazy for that.
So I answered, "I haven't seen anyone."
The police officer went away without further ado.

Next day, while I was watching TV, news coverage of a murder case appeared on it.
It said the murder took place in this apartment block. And it happened on the very day I saw that guy in the elevator.

"So it did really happen on that day."
The murderer had already been caught.
The news proceeded to show a picture of the murderer.

It was the face of the police officer who visited my room.

Comments

This is a famous urban legend, and is based on a true story! :D
George V said…
Wow, that is creepy. I guess being selfish sometimes is good.
K said…
It sounds like he was trying to get rid of the last witness...
Unknown said…
this narrator is so careless it makes the story funny as well as spooky. you get blood on your clothes from bumping into someone and you just brush it off?? hahaha. but her laziness saved her in the end so it all works out.
It is certainly good to be selfish occasionally. My life has become so much better since I learned to be more selfish! XD
I think that was what he tried to do! :D
But the person could have been simply having a nosebleed! XD

This urban legend acts as a warning to Japanese people who are in general very docile and cooperative with the authority.
CreanJinSung said…
If someone bumped into me and I have "blood" on my shirt. I would assume it was just salsa or something.
Violet said…
i'm as dense and naive as op
LOL You're a positive person.
Be careful, there are bad people out there in the world!
Hemu said…
Saya Saya, how to subscribe so i can get a notification on my email whenever there's new update?
ok, now about the story...i'm gonna insert a plot twist of why that culprit got caught. the woman the culprit asked as a police officer was actually a ghost. he noticed once he got back to the lobby to ask who live in the room (so he could kill her later when she comes out), but he got an answer that said the lady in that room had been murdered and the murderer haven't been found so no one live there anymore. afraid of being cursed or haunted by her, he decided to confess his sin. the reason she brushed of the blood as something normal was probably because she had seen that amount of blood before from her own corpse back when she was murdered
You can switch to the web version of this blog (there is a link to the web version at the bottom of the page) and you will see a number of subscription options on the right-hand side of the blog. :D

Thank you for your interesting theory! ;)



Unknown said…
And that is creepy.