The Windows

A Japanese classroom

(Translated from Japanese by Saya)
It happened last year -
After school, just before 7.00 in the evening.
We had just finished a meeting and I was just chilling out in the staff room.
I could have just gone straight back home, but instead decided to grade my students' tests. So I opened the drawer to get a red pen but there was none inside.

Oh, yes, I left it in the classroom.
The classroom was on the second floor, but to save electricity they only had the green light of the exit sign turned on.
It was getting dark, but the classroom was not far from the staff room, so I decided to go and fetch it.




I couldn't get lost in school even in the dark, and soon reached my classroom and turned on the lights.
The outside had become quite dark now, and in contrast the classroom was brightly lit, so all the things in the classroom were clearly reflected in the windows.
I didn't notice it at first, but after I had pulled out the drawer and retrieved the red pen and closed it again, I finally noticed that there was something quite wrong about the classroom.

As usual, we did our end-of-day class meeting, and all children had gone home.
And I remembered pulling the curtains shut and turning the lights off.
I was pretty sure that no one had been in the classroom since then.

But somehow all curtains were drawn back.
That was why the things in the classroom were reflected in the windows.
But that was not the real problem.
The real problem was what was reflected in the windows.

Each and every chair was occupied by a person -- every single one of them.

I quickly looked around me, but there was no one in the classroom.
Of course there was no one. But in the windows, there was the reflection of people.
I walked over to one of the windows and opened it.
The wind outside was unexpectedly cold. I made sure there was no one out there on the balcony, and closed the window again.

But the reflection of people was still there in the dark windows.
I had 31 students in my class, and a stranger was seated at each desk.
I didn't observe closely every one of them, so I can't say this for certain, but they were all men, and more over, old men.
They were all wearing suits and ties, with white hair, and could not be mistaken for students.
They all sat with their heads bent forward and stayed motionless.


What the hell is happening...?
I don't know much about ghosts or such spiritual matters. I am a fun of horror movies but that was just one of my hobbies.
So at the time, I only thought, "what is happening?" and wasn't all that scared.

Without doubt, the reflection was there, but in reality there was no one in the room.
The chairs were also tucked neatly under the desks.

So just for an experiment, I raised my hand which held the red pen, and pushed it down while looking at the reflection in the window at the same time.
The red pen sank deep into the head of an old man who sat in the front row.

The part of the red pen was buried deep inside his head but in reality I couldn't feel a thing.
I couldn't understand it at all, and I pushed the pen in and out several times. But there was no response and the old man kept looking downwards - that was what I thought, but suddenly, he looked up.

The red pen was still in the same place, so it now looked as if it were piercing the old man's eyeball.
Whoa! I thought, and looked at my hand again, but there was nothing there.

My heart suddenly started thumping hard.
Did I just make a bad move?
I looked at the window out of the corner of my eye, and froze.

Their faces were reflected in the windows.

All of them, without exception.
They were looking at the windows!

I didn't understand why they were all looking at the windows when I was not in the windows. 
But they were all turning towards the windows. 

My heart was beating even faster now.
Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump....
It wasn't like they looked angry or anything.
They all looked blank-faced, but it was scary to think they had possibly noticed I was here. 

I slowly let my hand fall and turned towards the exit. I tried to casually walk out of the classroom.
I reached the door.
And then - I still don't know why I did that - I glanced back over my shoulder to see the classroom for one last time.

What I saw then were back of their heads reflected in the windows.

They are all looking at me!

When I saw it and understood what it meant, I couldn't take it anymore and dashed down the corridor and stairs at the speed of light to reach the staff room.

Inside the staff room there were other teachers having tea and chatting to one another, and I breathed a big sigh of relief.

One of the teachers came up to me.
I thought what? and he said,
"I'm going to go round the classrooms now to make sure every door is locked."

Oh..OK. But at the time all I could say to him was,
"I might have forgotten to lock my classroom."
"Really? I will go and have a look then."
Once he was gone I quickly packed up my belongings and said,
"Uh...I'm going home now. Good job today everyone, and have a nice evening."
Good night, bye.... I heard everyone say to me, but I ignored them all and ran straight home.

Next day, the teacher who went round the classrooms came up to me again and said,
"Uh...Mr.___(my name)?"
"Did you see them?"
"Huh?...uh...yes."
"Don't say anything. I don't know what they were too. Sorry about that."
"But....those old women....?"

What on earth do you mean by "old women"?


Comments

Unknown said…
Gosh, that was one intriguing narrative! Thanks for yet another of these, Lady Saya!
@Sir Calvin Taylor Thank you very much, Sir Calvin. I have been waiting for someone to make a comment. lol Now I'm happy!
Bee said…
Oh wow, that one gave me chills. I'm a school teacher myself and being in school after hours (especially when it's dark) has always creeped me out. Weird stuff can happen when you're all alone in the building, so I usually make sure I go home at a sensible time.
Great story, thanks for the translation! :)
Failure Drill said…
This was a really good one. Considering that it's all weird old men and not dead children I think this teacher's problem isn't ghosts but a pocket dimension in his classroom. I really enjoy that concept.

I began to rediscover my love of the bizarre this week after three really difficult years where I stopped caring about a lot of interests I had. Then I was pleasantly surprised to see you blogging again. I'm reading the whole blog from the beginning now. Thanks for helping me rediscover this part of myself.
CreanJinSung said…
My old high school wouldn't have this problem because the windows were translucent. But if I did see something clearly reflected there I would take a picture but that would be a problem since phones back then had terrible cameras.
@Bee Oh my, oh my, you are a teacher too? You'd better be careful then! XD
Schools after hours are indeed creepy. I live right next to a school and I never want to look in its direction at night. LOL

Thank you very much for commenting! It gives me great pleasure to know people are entertained by my translated stories! :D


@Failure Drill Hello, dear. I'm sorry you have been through some difficult times over the past three years. I can relate to you, because I too have experienced times when I lost interests in the things I had previously loved. But then one day I read "The Lower Depths" by Maxim Gorky, and in it the old pilgrim called Luka says something like,"You mustn't forget (or abandon) the things you love, because it is in them that your soul resides." (sorry I don't remember the exact wording)

When I was younger all I did was study and work hard, but now I permit myself to do the things I most love every day. Please do the same, my dear :) Always remember that you are a precious person. Strive toward self-actualization. There is a whole universe within you :D
@CreanJinSung Oh OK, I see, so your school was a safe place XD haha
I hope you have a better camera now so that if you ever see a ghost you can take a picture of it and share it with us! LOL
Yukari said…
This was a great read. It sent chills down my spine! Places that we are used to seeing lively and full of people (like schools) can be really creepy when they are (or, as in this case, seem) empty ...
@Yukari Thank you, Yukari-chan :D For me the story is scary and funny at the same time. Schools and hospitals are the scariest places.
George V said…
That is one creepy story. Ghosts of students past but why the gender change? Still, schools and offices are scary at night.
@George VanMeter Yes, the gender change at the end was unexpected! lol
1CC said…
The scariest thing is when the group "stare" at you with their blank expression. Sending shiver down my spine.
Diogo Valverde said…
Pro tip: if they are not students or people who once lived or worked in the building, or otherwise had anything to do with it, they are not ghosts at all, which makes the story that much scarier. Staying WELL away from the classrooms at night would be highly recommended, as would getting help from a priest.
Gabriel said…
As someone who's afraid of seeing unnatural things in reflections, this one is quite unnerving! It's also weird that the other teacher saw old women instead of men.
It makes me wonder if the spirits of the old men weren't following the narrator after they were disturbed - which allowed the women to take the seats thereafter. Dreadful, but I quite like it! Those pics also really add to the atmosphere.

Btw I didn't know you had studied music, that's awesome :D!! And Chopin's nocturnes are very beautiful melodies, it must've been great. Glad to hear you're having fun returning to the piano!

Oh, since I had promised to tell about my dreams, here's a short one for now: I was alone in the middle of the night, the streets were empty, and I "knew" everyone else was asleep. Then I got to my house, and I felt something calling me, it sounded like it was coming from the bathroom. As I went there it called again, and I realized it was coming from the attic. Looking through the cracks on the boards on the ceiling, I could see what looked like a rusty metal object. I tried to reach through the gap on the boards to get it... then the boards broke and lot of dirt fell on me. I then spent the rest of the dream trying to clean up what looked like cobwebs from my hair.
Sorry if there wasn't a better ending, my dreams just end abruptly xD. I'll go through my journal and find a better one next time!

Anyway, thanks a lot for translating this story for us too! Take care, until the next one!
@1CC Indeed, that was a very scary part!
The funniest part was when the narrator pushes the pen in the old man's head. What on earth was he doing? XD
@Diogo lol I should get a telephone number that directs me to exorcists in case something like this happens to me. After all, I live right next to a school! XD
@Gabriel Hello! :D
Aww I hope those old men didn't follow the narrator like you said! What if he sees these old men every time he looks at windows at night! That would be awful!

Thank you <3 I used to study music in London :D But I didn't realise how much I loved music until I grew older. Now there's no pressure, I enjoy practicing the piano much more than before. I love Chopin the most.

Oh! Your dream sounds quite creepy! Empty streets at night, a voice calling from the bathroom or attic -- if it happened to me in real life, I would be freaked out and calling the police! Maybe it was for the best that you couldn't get that metal object??

Thank you very much, Gabriel, I'm sure other blog readers enjoy reading about your dreams as much as I do! :D

Take care, my dear, and I hope every day of your life is filled with joy!

Unknown said…
This one is really great. It sent a chill to my spine. The picture helps with the atmosphere as well. I was on edge of my seat waiting for them to attack the teacher but nothing happened at all so it made it all the more bizzare and creepy. But props to the teacher for making a little experiment there.
Hemu said…
At night school is creepy. But it's when the morning comes it's the creepiest. You know, that time when the sun just barely appear from the east like a lady shyly about to give her first time to her newly wedded husband? Yes, that's the time when school was the creepiest. Because it's much scarier to feel the presence of that, mingling or almost merging the presence of a person.
ReignTracer said…
In my old elementary school, classes were divided between morning students and evening students, 6 to 12 and 12 to 6, and I remember when I was an evening student, I ended up leaving the school late around 8-ish due to copying the blackboard notes. Being one of the last few students leaving the school is scary. My school's floorplan is a rectangular building with rooms forming a rectangle lined on the sides with a courtyard in the middle and the staircases at the four corners. My classroom was on the 6th floor on the middle of the floor with about 2 classrooms away from the stairs on both sides so going to either staircase meant passing by dark empty classrooms. A part of me fears that if I look inside as I passed a classroom, someone or something might look back at me. This story reminded me of that feeling. Great job there saya, I missed reading your entries.
Mercury 5 said…
So, can anyone explain why there was a gender change? Does anyone have a theory?
Rebecca said…
Since 2013, there has been both a longing fascination and an obsession with the spiritual and mysterious side of life. Being a highly sensitive and timid girl, I have always felt more in touch with nature, animals, stars, and the Universe, rather than around people and social situations. Possibilities beyond imagination came about when accidentally discovering a video on Youtube called spiritual reality: meditation for beginners. That was the turning point. Other videos involving activation of the chakras (energy centres of the body) became a practice each night, but one major energy centre that was of interest was the third eye, which is the

development of psychic powers and astral projections. The colour of it is purple or indigo, and awakens someone to dimensions of reality usually unseen, allowing you to see spirits, auras, and non visible phenomena. Perceptions will not be limited by time or space. It's the connecting link between physical and spiritual worlds, and the gateway to inner realms of higher consciousness. Every night I would listen to a video called supreme third eye activation. Within 2 months a purple pulsating light emanated from within the forehead, which led to seeing auras, energy in the air, hearing tinkling sound, experiencing astral travel and lucid dreams, but most surprisingly,

the presence of spirits and angels deciding to become a part of my life. This was an emotional and touching step along the journey. Due to not having any friends or contact with the world, I only knew what it was like to be alone. They're named the illuminators of star light, which is what was chosen to represent them by. They helped me connect to the Universe in a way that I couldn't believe...I sat outside in the back garden to look up into the night sky. It was roughly 9pm. The sky was clear and filled with stars. I closed the eyes and called forth to them, asking to be connected to the extraterrestrial life forms, to be shown what cannot be perceived.

A few minutes after, there was something in the sky above which took the breath away. Three white lights in the shape of a triangle flew at great speed completely silent overhead, and shot straight over the house. I let out a gasp in total amazement and was overcome with tears. It was one of the most profound experiences that has left it's mark. Almost 3 years ago there was the death of my father, and the loss of a pet (in the span of a few months) It left an emptiness inside which is indescribable, a tugging at the heart strings, and so after falling into depression, I lost interest in doing things that I cared about.

The last 3 years things came to a stand still, as though time stopped, but discovering your website has brought these things back to memory, and has rooted the soul back to where it belongs. With such blogs of yours, stories and videos, it feels as though it has awakened the motivation and desire to regain those interests that were lost, and bring me back home. Thank you.
Dragonhawk said…
Oh hey, 3 years later! But whatever, right? Anyway, once in college, I have to collect my things that I needed for homework that I left in my desk, in my classroom, in a dark building.

It was late, and I cursed myself for forgetting my stuff because now it's getting dark, and the building caretaker already turned all the lights off, but they didn't lock the building or the classroom yet, thankfully. Maybe because it was 6pm and not super late into the night.

So, I already made my decision to acquire my stuff and to brave the darkness of the building. My friends are all already went home so unfortunately I need to do this alone (I didn't ask the caretaker to turn on the all the lights back on because I don't want to impose). I have to climb 3 flight of stairs, and the only light I have was the purplish light of the sunset from outside the windows. It was SUPER eerie. I can't explain it but everything feels different. Like all the interiors are different. Like another world, almost. I reached my classroom, get to my desk, opened it and acquire all the stuff that I needed. I can't help to shake the feeling that many eyes are watching me D:

I quick-walked as fast as I can, and keep my eyes on the ground until I got out of the building. Never EVER leave things in my classroom again. If I did, I'm just gonna 'whatever bruh' next time. I'm already graduated now, I have for a long time, but that experience was definitely one of the scariest I've had.