Bizarre Cult Game: Osamu Sato's Eastern Mind

Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nou (東脳) is a surrealistic point-and-click adventure game created by Japanese artist Osamu Sato. It was published by Sony Music Entertainment Japan for Classic Mac OS in Japan in 1994, and in North America the following year by Sony Imagesoft. The game is considered to be a cult classic, with critics praising its surrealism and general strangeness.

Plot and Gameplay:
Eastern Mind is a point-and-click adventure game in which the player is a man named Rin who has lost his soul. Borrowing his friend's soul for 49 days, he goes on a quest to an location known as Tong Nou to die and be reincarnated nine times in order to recover his soul. Transmigration is a core game mechanic, requiring the player to die and be reborn as part of the experience. (Wikipedia)

Eastern Mind Promotional Video:

Watch Eastern Mind Gameplay on Youtube:



Chu-Teng(中天)

A followup titled Chu-Teng was released in Japan as a Macintosh-exclusive in 1995, later becoming an urban legend due to its rarity, with even Sato claiming to not have a copy. Deemed a "lost game", there were claims that were "no record of anyone having ever played" it, with believes that it was an unfinished prototype, an unattainable relic, or so rare that only a tiny amount of players were ever be able to play it.


Watch Chu-Teng Gameplay on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzWDGcIWEgtXZ15s-tBOxJnabzNu0J-60

Comments

Despite their appearances, they are not supposed to be horror games. LOL
CreanJinSung said…
*Watching a bit of the videos*
Me: Yep, those are definitely Japanese 90's games.
Gabriel said…
lol I'd always assume they were horror games at first glance xD!
Still, after watching the PVs and a bit of gameplay, there's something eerily beautiful to the artstyle and animations.

It's a different kind of game, but it remindsd me a bit of Gregory Horror Show, just because of the weirdness lol. Also, Yume Nikki :p
Thanks for this post as well, I always love learning about this kind of 'unknown' game! Take care, and I wish you may stay safe and that Japan can catch a break from all those natural disasters :/
Haem said…
Woah, interesting graphics, that certainly would be my kind of game since I'm terrible at video games and the character I'm playing with always ends up dying haha.
Diogo Valverde said…
Even if I ever come across any of these games, I'm never going to play them, since I get the feeling I'd die in seven days if I did.
@Gabriel I'm surprised you know Yume Nikki. LOL That's a scarier game than this.

We have been having typhoon every weekend! Another one has arrived and is going up from the South of Japan to the North of Japan! The climate has been really weird in our country.

Thank you for wishing us safety! I hope we don't get another one in the next week!

Take care and be happy! :D <3
You are like me then haha XD
It does look like one of those cursed videos! XD
allucinator said…
The Tong Nou, LOL.

I have read about it here: http://www.cracked.com/article_19816_6-japanese-video-games-that-will-make-your-head-explode.html

In the list (of the article I gave), the LSD emulator is also interesting, and they say that it was based on the actual dreams of some developers.
Gabriel said…
@Saya I'm pretty fond of Yume Nikki actually! Even if I never managed to play it through to the "end" xD

I've been seeing it on the news over here too, it's terrible how you guys just can't seem to catch a break :/! No need to thank me though, you're welcome! I hope the typhoon will go away soon, and that things can stay calm and peaceful over there.

Thanks, and may you be happy too :D!
Oh thank you for the link! LOL
I heard of LSD before but never tried to get to know it properly, so thank you! :D
@Gabriel Thank you dear, thanks to your prayers, I think we won't be getting another typhoon for a while! :D