“Please help us move a grave-like object”… A monk receives a bizarre and mysterious request - Part 7

If you would like to be notified of future posts, follow me on:

My Instagram:

My X:

❤️Updating Every Saturday Evening (Japan Time)



(Translated and Arranged by Saya)





202 (OP): 
Konbanwa (Note: Good evening). I will write as much as I can today, so that I can finish the story, once and for all. 
But please forgive me if I still take a break here and there. 


“Uh… so, could you please explain to me exactly what has been happening upstairs and the problems you are facing..?”


T san:
“Yes…sumimasen… It began, as I said, from around the time after we had the barbecue in the garden. 
At first — right now, we are sleeping in that room down the corridor but — we used to sleep in the room upstairs with a window overlooking the sea. It has such a great view… and after the barbecue, one day, we felt a presence — we first thought it was a person, and I wish it was. 
In fact, what suddenly appeared in the room, out of nowhere, was that object which look like a grave. We were sleeping at the time, and it was floating in mid-air.”


“Floating, you say?”

T san:
“Yes… I think it’s best if you see it with your own eyes. It’s hard to explain but, it was like a computer generated image in a Sci-Fi movie,  so to speak… the grave-like object was floating in mid-air in the middle of the room. 
We were just so astonished, and not only because it was floating.
We heard some strange sounds or voices coming out of it.”


Okusama:
“Yes, and there is more. Not only the sounds and voice, but also an entity that looks like a person comes out of it.
Well, ‘comes out’ might not be the right word… it sort of slowly appears out of thin air like this (stretching both arms out in front of her), and sometimes it even comes downstairs .”


T san:
“We are telling you the truth.”


“Yes, of course. Please don’t worry. I’m at the point where I’m ready to believe anything you say. 
So, how big and what shape is it?”



203(OP): 
“If possible, could you please draw it for me on a piece of paper or something?”

Okusama went to fetch a pen and paper, and T san made a drawing of it. 


T san: 
“It sort of looks like this…. Isn’t that right?”


Okusama: 
“Yes, it looks like this, and the size is, well, about this big (drawing the shape of a square in the air with both hands) I think.”


The shape T san drew on the paper was made up of rectangles and squares, which altogether did resemble a gravestone. The size looked about 30 ~ 40 cm on all sides. 

A Japanese style gravestone 


“And what are the unpleasant things that are happening because of this?”


T san:
“The very existence of itself is unpleasant. Imagine how it would feel to have such a thing in your room, and floating at that. 
What is more, you hear strange sounds and voices keep coming out of it.” 


“No physical pain or suffering of any kind?”


T san:
“Come to think of it, no, but we feel so much stress. We are suffering so much mentally.”


Okusama:
“So that’s why we have not been upstairs for nearly half a year. We are just too scared to go up there.”


“I understand…. Well, I don’t actually, but let us go upstairs anyway. 
But to be perfectly honest with you, there is no guarantee that they will be anything I can do to help you with this.
By the way, have you ever told anyone about this besides me?”


T san: 
“No, we have told a few other people about the bones, but you are the first person we have confided in about everything.”


All three of us then walked over to the staircase that led to the second floor.



204 (OP): 
It seemed my heightened nervousness was playing tricks on my mind. 
When I arrived at the bottom of the stairs, I suddenly had a flashback of an episode from “True Horror Stories (Note: a TV series), in which a person at the bottom of some stairs perceives a woman in a white dress come down, but no matter how long the person waits, he can never see her from her chest upwards, although there is no doubt that she is walking down the stairs — the story was entitled as “a woman with an unusually long upper body.” 

Yes, I was definitely frightened — noticing my mind fall into such a state was amusing and it almost made me smile.

“OK, let’s go upstairs,” T san said, and led the way, while Okusama and I followed him from behind. 

I had already decided that I would do what I had done in the garden straight away if anything happened. 



****************

205(OP): 
As soon as T san arrived at the top of the stairs, he cried out:
“Oh! It has changed!”

“What? What has changed?”

T san:
“It looks more distinct than before. Isn’t that so?”
He glanced at his wife. Okusama agreed with him, saying:

“Yes, certainly. It wasn’t like that before. 
It used to look kind of more blurry…”


I entered the room after them. 
What I saw then, literally floating in mid air, was an object which looked nothing like the gravestone that Tsan had drawn for me; but rather, it bore a strong resemblance to a chrysalis of a moth or a butterfly. 


“True. The shape has changed so much that it’s totally different from the drawing you made earlier…”


Hearing that, T san and Okusama both went:
“Eh?”

“What?”

T san:
“No, it still looks exactly the same as the drawing. Is it not appearing to you as a grave-like object?”


“Eh?”
How could this happen?


“Er… I see a sort of a chrysalis of a moth or a butterfly, with some patterns on it.”


T san and Okusama:
“What?”


The same phenomenon that we experienced with the man in workwear was happening to us again. 



206(OP): 
I felt there was no point in trying to figure out the cause of the phenomenon under the present circumstances, so I said:
“Please let me take a picture,” and took out my mobile.
(I forgot to write this but at the time I was still using a normal mobile phone, not a smartphone, made in 2014.) 


I didn’t think it was possible to take a picture of it, but the shutter did make the click sound.
However, as soon as my phone clicked, the chrysalis started vibrating. 


T san:
“Oh!”

Okusama:
“Ahhh!”

It appeared that the thing had undergone some sort of transformation in their eyes too. 


Hurriedly putting the mobile back into my robe, I held my prayer beads with my palms pressed together, just like I had done in the garden, while keeping the dokkosho in place by both thumbs; and I chanted the myogo and called the name of the principal image in Sanskrit. 


Some moments later, we heard the loud Bang! and felt an intense vibration such as the one I had experienced when I first entered the sitting room, and soon my nose caught a waft of foul odour in the air. 

“It stinks…” I thought, as I continued chanting, and T san said: 

“Obลsan, something is smelling so bad. What a horrid smell!”


I wasn’t sure if I was doing the right thing or not, but I was definitely causing the thing to react in some way.



207(OP):
“Kusai (Note: it stinks)”

“Kusai.”


T san and Okusama said, over and over again. 
But they didn’t try to run away.


Meanwhile, the loud Bang! sounds and vibrations continued.


I couldn’t have known what were the right ways of dealing with it, so I just kept on chanting. 
It felt like this situation lasted for about five minutes, even though the time must have been much shorter, but it still felt so long to me.


As I focused more and more on chanting, I closed my eyes and brought up the principal image in my mind’s eye, praying fervently, not with the intention to vanquish some evil spirit, but with the sincere hope to help a poor soul find eternal peace. 

Then, still with my eyes closed, I felt the space surrounding me tangibly twist and warp.


“Oh! Disappeared! Obลsan, it disappeared!” 
T san shouted. 


Relieved, I opened my eyes to find T san and Okusama holding hands and hopping together. 


Okusama:
“Ah… it has turned into such a sweet scent…”


T san:
“True… amazing…”


This is just my guess, but I think it was the scent of byakudan (Note: sandalwood) that I had burned in the garden. 


Okusama, while muttering“what a lovely scent” to herself, began to open all the windows in the room. 

“I’m sorry that I have to open the windows when we have such a lovely scent in here.
But it has been nearly half a year since we last opened them.” 


“Obลsan, thank you so much for everything. I’m at a loss for words… you’re simply amazing,” T san offered his hand. 


“Uh, no, just as I explained, it’s a fluke. I was only lucky. 
So please don’t start imagining that I have some special abilities or something.”


T san:
“But the fact is you have single-handedly cleared up the problems in the garden and this room, and ended our misery.”


“Well…in my humble opinion… in our school’s doctrines, the conception of ‘vanquishing evil’ does not exist. So, in the garden, as well as in this room, I only prayed so that those souls may all find their ways to Jลdo (Note: Buddhist heaven) and rest in eternal peace. Perhaps that has turned out to be the right thing to do — so, could both of you please pray with me again, for the repose of their souls?”


I said, and we again performed the same kind of ritual we had done for the garden.


(To Be Continued….)


————
⭐️My Fun Experience of the Week: ๐Ÿ˜†
On X 

On Instagram 

Comments

Hello, everyone! How are you?
Sorry for making you wait for this post for so long๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I have been busy that I haven’t even had much time to proofread this post … actually the same applies to all the recent posts I made, so I might have to go back and edit all the episodes once I have finished the whole monk story. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ‍๐Ÿ’จ

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it ~ ⭐️ Please leave comments below if you liked it! I’m always happy to hear from you and your comments are the source of motivation for me to continue this blog.

For now I’m so exhausted and I’m gonna go to bed soon ๐Ÿ˜ญ But I’m happy that I have finished translating another episode! LOL

We have only about a couple of episodes left before the story ends, so please bear with me ~ ✨

Thank you for your love and support ❤️
Much love ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–
Anonymous said…
Yay, new story! *cicks* *sees the first image* ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
Bringing the *HEAVY* artillery from the beginning, right, Saya? ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคฃ
schlurpie said…
๐Ÿ˜… what's going on with the first image? the wood/tree passed through the man? it's freaky ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

but i can't wait for the conclusion of the story. hopefully there will be more adventures from the buddhist priest ๐Ÿ˜
@schlurpie it’s a picture that is often posted on horror threads at 2 chan๐Ÿ˜†
I think it’s supposed to be an artwork by a Japanese artist.

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I’m glad you are having fun reading the story ~❤️
@Anonymous (21 January 2024 at 01:21)

Sorry I nearly missed your comment ๐Ÿ˜†

I just thought I would use the picture because it has an elderly couple in it๐Ÿคฃ
I’m glad you like it ~ ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿฉท Thank you so much for your comment!
George V said…
Scary story. But, wait, we have to be continued! I wonder what happens next. As for your story, I get scared whenever scammers reach out to me.
Anonymous said…
This story is so intriguing, thank you for taking the time to translate all this, Saya! I always look forward to seeing the updates every Saturday.
I'm a little worried for the couple and the monk after seeing the to be continued, though...
allucinator said…
Perhaps I was reading so fast; a chrysalis shaped like a Japanese tombstone? It's getting wilder. Now I wanna know what really emerged. This has a JRPG feel.

I now expect a grotesque JRPG boss like you see in Final Fantasy games.

And the couple acts like the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, slightly losing their minds.
Anonymous said…
Okay, so I missed this latest post hahaha.

I would never imagine the couple has a grave-like object floating in midair. Is this UFO?? I am thinking scifi immediately hahahha.

I really like how the couple and the priest see the apparition differently. It reminds me of a trope in horror movies.

Thank you for the translation as always, Saya!
@George V
Those scammers aren’t scary. They are miserable people who have shitty lives and who don’t know how to value themselves.
I just hope this particular one will change his mind after our conversation ๐Ÿคฃ
Thank you so much for your comment!๐Ÿ˜Š✨
@Anonymous (22 January 2024 at 15:02)
I’m so glad that you find this story intriguing and that you look forward to Saturdays! ๐Ÿ˜Š
Thank you so much for your kind words ~ ✨I appreciate you!
@allucinator
I does have a JRPG feel at this point ~ ๐Ÿคฃ✨

This part made me wonder where the scent came from! Because the windows were closed and the scent from the incense powders in the garden could not have gotten inside ๐Ÿค”

Perhaps all of them have gone crazy๐Ÿคฃ

Thank you so much for your fun comment!
@Anonymous (23 January 2024 at 15:08)
How could you have missed this post? ๐Ÿ˜ก

Haha, it’s ok! This was posted much later than I usually post, so I’m not surprised that you missed it!
I wish there was a more effective way to let you know when I post๐Ÿค”

Yes, it’s funny how they see things differently!

You’re welcome and thank you so much for posting a comment ~๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป
Anonymous said…
@Saya in reply to allucinator

I think the scent definitely comes from the entity lol.
Is it not a myth in Japan that spirits can emit scents?
In my country, a mysterious scent coming out of nowhere is a sign of a spirit passing by. It can be stinky garbage or corpse/blood scent, but it can also be a floral fragrance like jasmine or pandan leaves.
@Anonymous (23 January 2024 at 16:16)

I wasn’t sure if spirits are supposed to have smell, and I had to google for it!
And apparently they do have smell! ๐Ÿคฃ I’ll have to write an article about it!
But they usually have unpleasant types of smell, so in this story, maybe the monk was successful in sending the spirit to heaven, which caused it to smell nice๐Ÿคฃ✨

Floral scent would be nice ๐Ÿ˜†

Thank you so much for your reply!