The Red Crayon

*"I" = NOT Saya

This is a story I heard from my friend, who works in an estate agent.
There was a flat he was in charge of, and one of its rooms always gave him a strange feeling every time he went into it. Something was not quite right about it, but he could not put a finger on what it was.

Then one day he thought he found out the reason; he spotted that the passage next to the room was about one metre shorter than it should be. He went to the end of the corridor and knocked on the wall. And from the sound being made he deduced that there was a small space between the original wall and the one he was knocking on.

He thought that was odd and decided to investigate further. Having first got permission from his boss, he pulled down the wall.

“I would have felt better if I’d found a skeleton or something in there,” my friend told me later about his experience.
In reality what he found inside was a certain word, repeated again and again, written all over the walls.
“Mummy mummy mummy mummy mummy mummy mummy mummy mummy……,”so the word ran endlessly, in red crayon.

In the end they decided to put the wall back into place, leaving the place as it was, without erasing the words. After that he promptly handed over the charge of the property to another colleague.

Comments

bravesky said…
Am i only one think that it funny (i mean the guy)!
Yes you are the only one, dear!
Spirit Kitty said…
Mummy as in mother, or as in something mummified?
Anonymous said…
There was a similar story in the manga xxxholic, when the four characters had a hundred-ghost story ceremony.

It was an old-style hotel, with five rooms... but only four on the top floor. There should have been five, and the wall outside continued past the fourth room. So when some guests told the manager, he paled and said, "I knew it!" They tore down the wall at the end of the corridor, and found it went past; there was a door. But the door was nailed in place, barred with wood, and even the doorjamb was caulked. They broke down the door and written all over the walls were the words, "Father, please, let me out!"

Owari datta~
Shan. said…
Maybe the guy just wasn't observant, and didn't notice the skeleton of a toddler lying on the floor.
Anonymous said…
Jeeze. I can't see the word "mummy" without remembering that Doctor Who episode- the one where the mutated child keeps asking a girl, "Are you my mummy?"
Skin Taker said…
"Are you my mummy? I'm scared of the bombs."
God, yes! That episode scared the bejeebers out of me! In the very best way, of course.
Azak said…
Sheesh, it's about parents that were so lazy that they would rather have part of a passage sealed than clean the freakin wall!
Yoku said…
This is one of those stories that really makes you wonder what really happened there, isn't it everyone?
And very good translation Saya!
I think i've become addicted tor eading theese now!
Anonymous said…
This is an odd story, but what makes it even more odd is what I found a few weeks ago: http://www.scaryforkids.com/the-crayons/

Oddly enough, it seems the same house is involved, the same ending, and the same pictures inside. Odd.
Damie said…
I'm usually pretty good with understanding asian urban legend and stuff, but I'm lost on this one. I found weirder stuff than that when I repaired the walls in my room after moving in. Like the impaled Lego man. Had a plastic Lego man spear going through its chest.