A Voice From Upstairs

*As usual, the "I" in this story is not Saya

This is a story from my childhood.

When I was a child I lived in a rented two-floor house.
Both my parents worked so I was often alone when I came home from school.
One early evening when I came home the house was still dark.
I called out, “Mum?” and heard a voice say “Yeeeeees?” from upstairs.
I called her again, and again got the same “Yeeeeees?” reply.

I felt she was calling me and climbed up the stairs.
When I reached the first floor I called her once more and the voice “Yeeeeees?” came from the furthest room.
I felt both uneasy and a strong urge to see my mother and started to walk towards the room.

But just that moment I heard the front door downstairs open and my mother come in, carrying a lot of shopping bags.
‘Shunsuke (my name), are you home?” My mother called in a cheery voice.
Hearing her voice made me feel instantly better and I turned back to go downstairs at once – but not before I had a quick glance towards the room.

While I watched from the top of the stairs, the door to the room slowly opened a crack.
For a brief moment I saw something strange in there.
It was an unnaturally pale face staring at me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hehe very creepy, people say ghosts and stuff dont exist but i believe they do we cant see them but you can feel their presence. very scary especially if that was me or anyone else at home alone at night. very creepy

neosunnyb4u@hotmail.co.uk
I myself only half believe in ghosts - although I have "met" ghosts myself before! I think I might talk about my experience on this blog too!
Fundefined said…
Goddamn it son, didn't I tell you not to bother our old landlady?
Anonymous said…
Um...Maybe the guy's sis was playing dress up and put on too much face powder.And she was pretending to be the mum to scare the guy!That explains the face and the mum's voice .What an impersonator!XD I think.....
Anonymous said…
when i see the word *As usual, the "I" in this story is not Saya ,
it reminds me, saya in malay means I
What does Saya in Malay mean?? I would love to know!!
Anonymous said…
it means 'I'or 'me', in a polite way
Oh that's nice. Thanks,dear.
Anonymous said…
You see? This is why you only find idiots in scary situations like this, because any intelligent person would flick on any light they find on the way up the stairs. I know I would, especially if I thought anything unusual was happening. PS, I understand the I doesn't mean Saya. I'm making fun of the character, not you.
Anonymous said…
Saya in Filipino means happiness. It can also mean skirt.
Anonymous said…
I would like to contribute that in chinese, "saya" means "IT'S SAND GODDAMMIT."
Yes, really.
Dead. said…
OMG IT WAS EDWARD CULLEN.
Anonymous said…
Pedo lol
Dave O'Gara said…
I had an experience like this when I was a child. I woke up one morning to the sight of my open sliding closet door. Like many kids I would never in a room with my closet door open. But I didn't worry since I heard a rustling sound in there, and figured my mother was in there looking for something. And it was probably the sound of her in my closet.

As my closet was unlit I could not see her and I called out,

"Is someone there?"

A very high shrill old woman's voice said,

"Yeeeesssssss". The word got higher in pitch as she held it out.

I ran down the stairs to find my parents at breakfast. I told them what had just happened and they dismissed it.
John Steinbeck said…
Did anybody else read the "Yeeesssss" like the Yes Guy from the Simpson?
ohaiadit said…
"Saya" means "I" / "me" in Indonesian as well lol I find it amusing when Saya's stories begin with the sentence "the "I" in this story is not Saya".
Anonymous said…
hi,
love ur blog :-)
Just wanted to add that Saya in India means a GHOST :-)
sasusaku said…
to anonymous,
Heyyyyy SAYA in INDIA does not means means a ghost!!! it means SHADOW. you dont know hindi well?????????????


any ways who was the pale face starring in this story??????
Anonymous said…
Saya in hindi does not mean ghost it actually means shadow this anonymous doesnt know hindi well