WARNING: This ritual is alleged to be MORE DANGEROUS THAN ONE MAN HIDE AND SEEK.
The doll's face might change.
【The Things You Need】
・Two sheets of mirrors
・One doll (a Japanese doll is best, but if not get something that looks as close to human as possible. No plushies.)
・One scapegoat doll (anything will do as long as it's a doll)
・One strand of hair
・Salt*1 (5 spoonfuls) wrapped up in paper
1. Arrange the two mirros so that they face each other.
2. Put the doll and the candlestick between the mirrors.
3. Wait until it is 12 o'clock midnight.
4. Just as the clock strikes 12.00 light up the candle.
5. Say to the doll, "I will leave here a new body for you. Please take it" for five times.
6. Then say to it, "Let's play together" for five times.
7. If you start hearing some rapping noises or start experiencing some other strange occurences at this point, it is an indication that the preparation has been done properly. But don't worry if nothing happens.
8. While keeping the salt close to yourself , say to the doll, "Please come and find me. If you find me I will give you my life" for five times. After that go to a large room or your own room, turn off all sources of light in the room, and sit zazen *2 with your back to the door. Make sure you sprinkle some salt on yourself too.
9. Now all you have to do is wait for the doll to come to you.
Note: If you ever feel you are in danger, go and hide in some place like a closet.
【How To End It】
1. Still keeping the salt close to you, go to the room with the candle.
2. When you arrive in front of the candle, say, "You lose. It's over now" for five times.
3. After you've finished saying it, blow out the candle and sprinkle some salt over your body.
4. Find the doll and sprinkle some salt over it too.
5. Turn all the lights on and create a happy, cheerful atmosphere (this is important).
6. Keep this atmosphere for at least an hour.
7. Make sure you take the doll to a shrine where they can perform a ceremony on the doll to appease the spirit*3, within three days of the ritual.
【Important Things to Remember】
・You must do it alone. It won't work if you have other people around.
・You must NOT utter a word while the doll is going around and looking for you.
・Do NOT use up all of the salt on yourself at the beginning. You'll still need some of it at the end.
・Do NOT go outside during the ritual.
・You must NOT run away without finishing it properly. If you run away it will come after you.
・Make sure to end it before the day breaks. If you don't it will stay on in your place.
・You must take the doll to the shrine where they can perform a ceremony for it at the end.
・If you find yourself having to combat with the frog, snake or fox, be very careful.
*1 Salt - as usual, natural salt is best.
*2 zazen - a posture used in Zen Buddhist meditation. It usually requires you to sit cross-legged, with your back straight. (see the picture on the left (top). For more info see wikipedia and Zen Meditation Instruction.
*3 A ceremony to appease the spirit inside a doll - a Japanese term for it is 人形供養(ningyo- kuyo). 人形(ningyo) means "doll" while 供養(kuyo）is a translation of "puja".
The picture on the left (middle) shows a scene from the Shinto-style ningyo-kuyo.
The pictures at the top of the post and on the left (bottom) show Awashima Jinja （淡嶋神社）, a shrine in Wakayama prefecture famous for ningyo-kuyo. As you can see the shrine's building is overflowing with dolls sent in from all over the country.
This video below is done by one Japanese girl trying out the Living Doll ritual.
Unfortuately it's all in Japanese but at least you'll get the feel of it! :D
There's one comment on Youtube that says "While I was watching this I experienced the same things that happened in the video. I heard some cracking noises, something scraping the floor and felt my room temperature drop suddenly."
The video says, if at any point you feel you are really in danger stop the ritual immediately. (And that's what she does in the video.)
But funnily, she keeps talking during the ritual when she's not supposed to do that. LOL