Scribbles on a Second-Hand Book

If you would like to be notified of future posts:

*Follow Me on Twitter @Saya_Underworld
*Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/saya_in_underworld

My other social media accounts (for my artwork etc.)


❤️❤️ UPDATING EVERY SATURDAY

(Translated and arranged by Saya)

Created by Stable Diffusion again πŸ˜†

This happened to me while I was in a certain second-hand bookshop. 
I went there with a friend who wanted to sell his books. 

The shop was not a stylish second-hand bookshop like the ones in Jimbo Cho (Note: an area in Tokyo where you find many second-hand bookshops*1) , but just a chain shop that deals with a jumble of books ranging from photo books to manga books. 

My friend had brought a mountain of manga books with him, and we were told that it would take a while to assess the value of all of them. 

I had never been to a second-hand bookshop, and being inside one was a novel experience to me. I walked around inside the shop, looking everywhere with curiosity.

I was looking at the Occult / Supernatural section of the shop, wondering if there wasn't something of interest to me, when I found one book whose title wasn't visible due to it being placed on the shelf backwards. I picked it up.

The title went something like "Let's Enjoy Rakugo (Note: the traditional Japanese art of storytelling. Link)."

The words were printed large and it had many pictures in it, so it was likely to be written for children.

The list of stories included the famous stories such as "Jugemu"*2 and "Scared of Manju"*3 which I already knew, but the amusing illustrations that accompanied the text made me keep turning the pages. 

When I got to "Sobei in Hell," I noticed someone had scribbled "Scary" in the margin. 

Sobei in Hell is a story about a man called Sobei, who goes to hell alongside a dentist, a doctor, and a yamabushi (Note: mountain monk Wiki)*4 , and they each utilise the skills they learned while they were alive to dodge attacks from oni (such as by pulling teeth out of an oni when they were about to get devoured by it) and overcome other difficult situations.

"Sobei in Hell (Jigoku no Sobei)" (a children's book)

It's a comedy but I remember reading it as a child and feeling frightened by the depictions of hell fire and oni. 

When I saw that scribble, I couldn't help but smile, because I imagined that the previous owner of the book, who I assumed was a child, also felt the same way as I did. 

Illustration from "Sobei in Hell"

I turned the next page, and found another set of scribbles in the margin.

"I am in trouble. Please help."
The sentence was written in red ink, and the word "HELL" within the printed text was marked with a circle, using the same ink. 

Right below that, in slightly faded black ink, was the word "OK. " 

This was immediately followed by "Done."

After this, "Thank you," was scribbled in red ink.

What is this? I wondered as I turned a page again.

There, I again saw: "Please help."
And a circle within the printed text. 

Below it, "OK."
And "Done."  

"I am grateful. Thank you for your help," in red ink.

Such sentences appeared in the margin page after page.

The scribbles in red came in a variety of shades, sometimes light, sometimes dark, and the handwriting was different each time too, but the "OK" and "Done" appeared to have always been written by the same hand, angular in shape with faded black ink.

"Please I need your help"
"OK"
"Done"
"Thank you"

"I would be grateful for your help"
"OK"
"Done"
"Thank you so much"

After I saw some more of those exchanges, I found a piece of paper stuck between the pages towards the end of the story.

It was a photo of a boy in school uniform, and it looked yellowish and grainy, probably because it had been enlarged. The boy wore a stiff expression on his face.

It had a name under the picture, which I assumed belonged to the boy.

The scribble in the margin: 
"Please help me"

And a circle around the word "Hell" in the printed text.

No words were written underneath them yet. 

Just then, I received a message from my friend saying that he had finished selling his books and he had been fully paid.


I silently put the book back to its original place.



---------------------------------
Notes:

*1



*2 Jugemu
This video below shows a rendering of the story "Jugemu" performed in English by Katsura Sunshine. It takes only a few minutes to watch it and it's really amusing. I would highly recommend it!

*3 Scared of Manju (Manju Kowai)
A great performance by Matthew Barber

*4 Yamabushi


You can apply for Yamabushi Training here!

⭐Japanese Mountain Monks:
A man's moving journey to becoming a Yamabushi. Sometimes the English subtitles are hard to see, but still worth watching!

⭐Kiwi Yamabushi (YouTube Channel)

One Western person's experience of being a Yamabushi. He says it has transformed his life and a lot of people can benefit from the Yamabushi training.




⭐A Japanese Monk explains what it means to be a Yamabushi & its history and training etc.



-------------------------
Other hilarious Rakugo videos by Katsura Sunshine:

47 words for "Thank you"


Funny feedback made by the audience on a survey

Lost in Translation "Statue of Liberty"

Hand Soap: How you can speak Japanese without studying it🀣

Handing Out Pocket Tissues
A moment of disbelief 


Comments

Hello, everyone! How are you?
I hope you are all well and happy!

I like this story very much. I hope you enjoy reading it too!
I also hope you enjoy the information on Rakugo and Yamabushi!

Thank you so much for reading my blog!
Lots of Love and take care!πŸ’–
Anonymous said…
This was so chilling!!! πŸ˜–πŸ˜– I’m glad he didn’t write on it! thank YOU for sharing this story with us Saya! You are the best as alwaysπŸ’•
Anonymous said…
It's interesting how this reminded me of the show Jigoku Shoujo. The way of communication is almost similar. I wonder what made them send someone to hell, though.
Another great story, Saya-san! Thank you for the hard work of translating. πŸ’•
Anonymous said…
Hi Saya,
This story would make a great beginning of a supernatural story.
I really really want to know the mystery of this book.

Interesting read as always, Saya. Thank you :)

~ nunu ~

~ nunu ~
I'm glad you found it chilling!
Thank you so much for being so kind πŸ₯°❤️
Really? I have never watched Jigoku Shoujo, but I heard it's good!πŸ˜†⭐

If it's a devil, they are doing it at the risk of going to hell themselves 😱✨

I'm so glad you enjoyed itπŸ’–
Thank you so much for your comment!
Hello, nunu!

Yes it would! Many of the stories here sound like things have just started 🀣✨

I'm glad you found it interesting!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for your comment ❤️
Anonymous said…
Oh, I highly recommend it! 😊The way of communication is kinda similar. In the series, you need to send a request through a website (around the ages where technology isn't adapted yet, you have to leave it inside a mailbox) that is only available on 12AM. Then you will have a meeting with Hell Girl in regards to your request and she'll give you a straw doll with a string attached to it. The decision is entirely yours if you want to send them to hell, pulling the string will grant you your request but it will also seal your fate entirely.
Your payment will be your soul and once you die you'll go straight to hell.

"When one person is cursed two graves are dug." ~ A quote from the series.
That sounds very interesting! Thank you so much for writing down the synopsis!

Yes, that's a well-known saying Japan. When you curse someone, you are digging two graves. One for you, and the other one for the person you curse. Even if you don't do anything physically, holding onto grudges will harm you mentally and spiritually!
Aeri chan~ said…
to anonymous:i know hell girl too!well i read the manga not watch the anime, i used to read it on nakayoshi indonesia ^^
George V said…
Maybe it was spies or some sort of secret agency using the book to communicate. All in all, unerving.
A secret agent would be fun, but would that mean the person was getting rid of other people?😱

Thank you so much for your fun theory!πŸ™⭐
Second Sun said…
Sayaaa!! δ»Šι€±γ‚‚γ‚γ‚ŠγŒγ¨γ†γ”γ–γ„γΎγ—γŸ!

Ohh this story is interesting! Although I'm afraid, my curiosity is strong enough to write "Ok" and see what quest will come my way 🀣🀣

Thank you too for the many tidbits of information as always! I will slowly go through them and enjoy. My first brush with Rakugo was from the anime "Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu"!

でわでわ, またζ₯ι€±!
Hello ~ Second Sun けゃん!
γ©γ†γ„γŸγ—γΎγ—γ¦!

I see that you like getting into trouble🀣⭐

I'm glad you like those information at the bottom! I have been wondering if anyone ever watches any of it🀣✨

This Katsura Sunshine is a genuine Rakugo artist. He speaks English but then how he speaks sounds very much like how a Japanese Rakugo artist would speak!

I have heard of that anime! I saw someone mentions it in the YouTube comments tooπŸ˜†πŸ§‘

δ»Šι€±γ‚‚γ‚³γƒ‘γƒ³γƒˆγ©γ†γ‚‚γ‚γ‚ŠγŒγ¨γ†γ”γ–γ„γΎγ—γŸ。
またζ₯ι€±、ζ₯½γ—みにしています!
sardine god said…
Hi Saya!! Long time no see... I've been getting busier and busier with work, to the point that I'm even tired on weekends. But on quiet nights like these where it's raining and I'm just curled up in my room getting comfy, I feel happy that I get to catch up on your blog again and read these wonderful stories. Thank you for sharing the videos too, I always love watching travel & culture videos, they make me feel relaxed and calm.

Talk about work, when I see the notes "Please help" "OK Done" and "Thank you", it really reminds me of my emails... What if we're accidentally taking a peek at a demon's inbox and someone's just doing paperwork for Hell πŸ˜‚ that's the first imagination that comes to my mind.
Hello, Sardine God!
I'm sorry you have been so busy! But I'm happy to hear that my blog is helping you to unwind on less busy days! I feel so touched πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

Oh! Make sure you check the address when sending an email to someone πŸ˜† You wouldn't want ask a favour to a devil accidentally!

Thank you so much for your heartwarming comment! You made my day!πŸ’–

Take care and don't forget to spoil yourself from time to time ~πŸ’•
Anonymous said…
So he unintentionally doomed a kidnapped/spirited away kid to hell? 😱
SAYA said…
Who?πŸ˜† if it’s the narrator you are talking about, I doubt that is what be ended up doing! People were asking some unknown person/entity to curse someone else, by using the book as their medium. At least that’s my explanation!

Thank you so much for your comment!
Anonymous said…
It’s like red ink usually symbolizes death in names so normally it is taboo, but they were going with something entirely different here. What if red ink symbolizes that whoever is communicating with them is not on this side but the other side? Because there was no Ok, done written, the person’s cry for help wasn’t heard so he was devoured by the oni. I imagine the “OK, done transforms into a default handwriting when sent to hell. 🫣
SAYA said…
I see! That’s a very interesting interpretation!πŸ˜†✨

Still, since the handwriting in black ink indicates they are all written by the same person, I’m not sure if the narrator could have done anything to help! Perhaps he could but we never know!πŸ˜†

Thank you so much again for your comment!