The Grass is Always Greener


(Translated by Saya)

(Saya's note: from what I understand, this is a plot summary of a short story or of a manga)

A woman marries a handsome novelist.
There is another man who loves her, but he is a dull and tedious man whose only redeeming feature is that he is kind-hearted.

The woman tries her best to be a model wife for her husband, but despite her
efforts his creative talent starts to wane. Before long he gives up working altogether and chooses to lead a life of drunken debauchery.
Naturally they soon become financially challenged, and the woman takes up odd jobs here and there to save themselves, but it does little to improve their miserable situation and succeeds only in turning her beautiful face into an old, careworn one.




In the end, the husband dies destitute in a ramshackle house, and his obituary appears on the newspaper.
On the very same newspaper, the woman catches sight of another article about a wealthy man who has donated a large sum of money to a certain institution. To her bewilderment, she realises that the wealthy man is none other than that dull and tedious man who has since become a successful businessman.

I was a fool not to have realised the true worth of that plain but honest man....
In despair, she throws herself from a cliff and dies.

The story changes at this point, switching over to a parallel universe in which the woman chooses the tedious but kind man instead of the novelist.

After they get married, however, the woman quickly discovers that the man's kindness is superficial and that he is in truth a cold, conniving bastard.
He is unscrupulous and self-seeking in business, and uses every possible dirty trick to move up the ladder of social hierarchy to wealth and power, and cares nothing for other people.
The woman is treated as just another trophy and she has to resign herself to live a dismal and bleak existence.
He tries to mask his true character by making a large donation to an institution and the news of his deed appears in the newspaper, but the only emotion the woman feels is disgust, knowing his true colours.

As she continues to peruse the newspaper, another article draws her attention.
It is an article about the handsome novelist who, despite having so much talent, fails to make a name for himself and dies in abject poverty.

I was a fool not to have recognised his talent. I wish I were there to support him...
The woman throws herself from a cliff and dies.

Is the woman at fault for these endings?
But she is portrayed simply as a beautiful and earnest woman, and the men also are just following their paths.
All that can be said about her is that she is unfortunate, and that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Comments

misseal said…
such a sad story.. I'd like to read the manga.
Also, this is my first time commenting on this blog, but I've been following you for some years! Thanks for this one and glad to read you again :)
George V said…
I would like to think that there is a third option where the woman unable to choose between the two men, instead lived for herself first before finding a partner. Reading the newspaper she is sadden about the death of the novelist and then seeing after the big donations, the other man's secrets are revealed to the public. In the end she is happy that she never got married to either.
Haem said…
Hello Saya! Just catching up with your blog. I don't know if you remember about my last comment but I actually went to the doctor due my ringing ears and it resulted that my tinnitus was caused by a mild obstruction, a bit less exciting cause than the presence of a ghost but I guess that's ok haha, just commenting it since you kindly told me I could come back to tell how everything went.

Referring to the story, poor woman. I think sometimes we worry way too much about a decision we made and start thinking about how everything would have been if we have chosen another option but in the end it would probably just have turn out the same as this woman's fate. So I guess it's better to stop thinking a lot about our regrets and start to focus on the present.
allucinator said…
A comic relief.LOL
Unknown said…
The story is sad indeed. If the woman had no effect on either of their endings, it simply meams that her existance wasnt of great importance in anyone's life.
Gabriel said…
I can just agree with the others, this is a really tragic tale! Especially because it does seem to involve fate, since it looks like the lives of both man would be the same no matter what the woman did. The whole idea on how things can be fated and just "meant to be" really scares me.

But the title is very fitting. We often think that others are better off than us, but looks can be very deceiving!

Anyway, thanks for this story as usual!! Take care and stay safe :D
CreanJinSung said…
I like the Multiple Worlds Theory where it says that every decision we make creates a parallel universe. Or we could just imagine this as a Telltale Game in which we make a lot of decisions that affect the game but somehow it ends the same.
Mimi said…
Sometimes we won't know what truly lies beyond the greener grass. We can choose different paths but in the end our ultimate fate will be realized.

And I'm glad that your legs are safe, Saya, as are mine. :D
Unknown said…
Moral of the story: Be single.

Kidding. Although I do think that living with the choices we have made rather than lamenting the ones we haven't is s rather poor choice. I feel sorry for the lady, and more so because she apparently didn't have any friends to share her sorrow with .___.
allucinator said…
The fates are never her fault because they are not in her control. I don't know if she has fault for ending her life, but that kind of pain would be unbearable.

For some reason, the ability to feel pain is not in our control.

(I was reading Enchiridion by Epictetus)
Hello, misseal! Thank you for following my blog for such a long time and for finally deciding to leave a comment! :D I'm glad to hear from you!
It is a relief in deed. Reading your comment made me feel better too! :D

I think I will wait patiently too before the right partner turns up. LOL
Hello, Haem! Yes, I remember about you suffering from ringing in your ears and I was worried! I'm very glad you have found the cause and treatment for your symptom! :D I hope everything is alright and back to normal for you. Ah, but yes, I'm glad too that it wasn't a ghost that was causing the ringing! XD

I think that is certainly one moral of the story! :D
We often daydream about how our lives would have turned out different and better if we had made right choices, but such "right" choices only exist in our heads.

I think when we make choices we are meant to make those choices, because there are some lessons for us to learn in there, even if we learn the significance of those lessons much later on in our lives.
Yes, it is very sad if we look at it the way, isn't it?
I wonder if the woman had a wrong mindset after all, because she could have chosen not to kill herself and start a new life without the husband (Although it might be difficult to do that with the second husband, because he might do something harmful to her in retribution should she leave him).

I mean, perhaps she was fated to die as you say, as long as she didn't realise she had a wrong sort of mindset that was making her unhappy.

Thank you too for your comment! I hope you have a happy day! :D <3
Oh! Very glad to hear your legs are safe! XD You a good person and doing good deeds in your everyday life, and so you are protected by harm by divine powers!!
Haha XD But yes, I think you can never be careful about who you choose to be with in your life!

True, having good friends around her might have stopped the tragedy from happening!
Indeed. What happens to us is not in our control, but what we do to what happens to us is, to some extent, in our control, or so I hope.
Or at least we can decide how we look at our situation.

I value my pain, because it teaches me something, and it allows me connect with other people. But when we are in pain, all we wish is it just goes away, no? But sometimes life gives us unexpected gifts through our pain.

That's a great book you are reading! :D I hope it is helping you on your journey towards self-actualization!
THANK YOU EVERYONE for your GREAT COMMENTS. I look forward to talking to you again in the next post! Until then, take care and be happy! <3
Oops I nearly didn't reply to your comment, because I have so many others!

I have heard that theory before! Interesting :D
Violet said…
ohh i'm now curious what manga/story this is from
Gabriel said…
I'd say you're definitely right! Looking at the story this way, it does seem like what the woman should have done is have prioritized her own life and just tried to move on instead of agonizing over the "what ifs". She could have forged a better future for herself, even without either of those men.

I definitely prefer your interpretation of the story to mine :D! Thanks a lot for your reply and kindness too, hope you have a great day
allucinator said…
It is really a great help to me. I also analyze myself with "koans" sometimes.

No matter how separate our path, we can still walk our paths together.
1CC said…
Out of the frying pan into the fire...