How My Sister Changed

If you would like to be notified of future posts, follow me on:

My Instagram:

My Twitter:

❤️❤️ UPDATING EVERY SATURDAY
( From the next week, In the evening in Japan Time!)


(Translated and arranged by Saya)

When I was a high school student, I used to get into fights with my younger sister often (Note: the narrator is a man).

We would start arguing about trivial things and, usually, after we both felt we had said enough to each other, we would naturally stop arguing. 

Our fights were never serious and never led to any real harm. 

It was in spring, in the third year of my high school.
I was not doing well at school and it looked unsure whether I would be able to enter the university of my choice.

My parents were putting even more pressure on me. One time, for example, when I got bad marks for my exam, I was only served a few niboshi (small dried fish) with rice for dinner.

Niboshi on Rice

I felt weighed down by stress. My sister's behaviour, which would not normally bother me, seemed so irritating to me now.

One day, she said something --- although I can't recall exactly what she said --- which made me lose my temper, and I flung a remote at her. 

The remote hit squarely on the back of her head. 

She collapsed on the floor, covering her head with her hands. I panicked.

Is she dead? I went near her. 

No... I checked her pulse and she was still alive.

But she has passed out. I should take her to the hospital.

Such a thought did cross my mind, but if this became known, I didn't know how my mum, who was already so harsh to me, would react. I couldn't take such a risk. 

I simply laid my unconscious sister down on a sofa, and left her there, while I went upstairs to my bedroom to sleep. 

Next day, I was thinking how I should apologize to her as I went downstairs. 

She was having breakfast as usual. She didn't appear to be mad at me anymore.

As I was feeling sorry for what happened the day before, I tried to talk to her, which I hadn't done in a while.

But she didn't respond.

Is she still mad at me? 
I thought, but looking back, it would have been way better if she had been just mad at me.

My sister's personality changed from that day onwards.

She used to go out with her friends after school, but now she would not leave her room, except when she went to school in the morning.

And she would not speak a word to anyone while at home.

Once my father asked her, 
"Are you ignoring us on purpose?"
But she didn't say anything and her expression remained blank.

About a month had passed before my parents called me to have a family meeting.
"Have you done something to her?"
They asked me.

"What do you mean?"
I asked in return, but they hesitated to answer.

This was what my father was thinking:

My sister experienced something really shocking.
But she couldn't tell anyone about it because it was too traumatizing.
That was why she remained silent and kept to herself.

In short, they suspected that I sexually abused her.

I somehow or other managed to prove my innocence to them.
But still, the fact remained that I caused my sister to become the way she was, even though it wasn't through abuse. 

I thought to myself that I would do anything for her to become normal again.

A few days later, when I returned home from school, I snuck into my sister's room.

She wasn't home yet. 

This was the only time I could enter her room, because after she came home, she would always lock herself into the room and would never come out.

Her room looked exactly the way it did before she stopped talking.

I was half expecting to see something bizarre, like all the walls painted in black, and I knew I would break down and cry if I saw something like that, but that didn't happen.

This may sound really bad, but I decided to read the diary my sister had kept since she was little. It seemed to be the only way I could get a peek inside her mind. 

I found a diary on her desktop bookshelf, and opened it. 

I flipped through the pages. I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

But about halfway through it, I began to see changes.

I took a good look at them.

The words on the pages were now very large and misshapen, and bore no resemblance to my sister's previous handwriting.

And the sentences, which were somehow all written in Hiragana (Note: little children usually write sentences all in Hiragana because they wouldn't know how to write with kanji, which is way more complex), made no sense at all.

For example:
"A white radish is to a frog a sock even a shiitake mushroom..."

This kind of sentence continued on and on, filling dozens of pages.

A thought came to my mind:
I have damaged her brain.

I was overcome with remorse.

It was partly because I felt I had done something unforgivable to my sister, but even more than that, because I was convinced I would be sent to jail.

I was tearing my hair out, with tears in my eyes, when I noticed someone behind me.

I turned around and saw my sister standing there.

Her face was vacant.

It was still early in the evening, and I hadn't turned the light on, so her emotionless face appeared sinisterly dark in the shadows.

She slowly entered the room without a word.

I backed off. 

Having hung the bag on a hook on the side of the desk, she turned to me, as if my presence disturbed her, and then stared in my direction without moving.

Although my mind was in turmoil, I managed to collect myself and thought I should at least apologize to her.

I knew she wouldn't respond, but my overwhelming sense of guilt made me want to get down on my hands and knees, and beg for her forgiveness.

It was while I was in the process of kneeling down, when my sister all of a sudden darted forward and clutched at my arm.

For a moment, I didn't understand what was happening.

She then darted out of the room, just as suddenly as she moved forward.

Stunned, I realised that the diary I was holding in my right hand a moment ago had been taken away.

She disappeared that night. And she still hasn't come back home.

She is 24 years old this year, if she is still alive.

From the time of her disappearance, my life has continued to go downhill. I lost all motivation for study, and failed the university entrance exam, and failed to get a proper job. Right now, I am at the lowest bottom of the social ladder.

My parents had placed all their hopes and aspirations on my sister until she disappeared, so they have changed completely too.

------------------------------

⭐As I stated above, I will be posting in the evening in Japan Time from next week. 
Please remember it! Thank you ❤️




Comments

Hi everyone! Thank you as always for leaving comments! You are helping me to stay motivated!

I notice some of you are visiting my blog from the places which are affected by a war right now. Stay safe and strong. I'm wishing that peace will return to your countries soon.

I'm wishing all of you love, peace and happiness! Because you deserve it!

Thank you !πŸ’–
Yunjae said…
I love reading your stories Saya!! I like that they're not scary 100% of the time some are sad like this one. Siblings are always fighting either verbally and physically, I can imagine myself tossing a remote at one of my sibling which would be funny to me but with this story everything went so wrong!! I can feel the authors regret!!
Anonymous said…
I thought the narrator was a girl at first, becuase this story reminds me so much of my usual quarrels with my sister. We used to banter all the time during our teenage years, one time she pointed a laser pen and the light hit my eyes directly. I had to keep my eyes closed for a while after that and she was really panicked & thought she made me blind xD
I remember I enjoyed seeing her feeling guilty and afraid of how our parents would deal with her so I kept putting on the act for a while hahaha
Mercury 5 said…
Hi, Saya! Hope you're having a great weekend. It's a weird story we have today. Well, most stories here are weird, but this one feels incomplete somehow. I feel like there's more to it than what was told. This is going to be a long comment so please bear with me.

I have a couple of theories. First is that the girl could have already been feeling pressured but just kept it bottled inside. When the siblings had a fight and it became physical, that was probably her "warning" and gave the narrator another chance but she got so pissed she just stopped reacting and talking, waiting for an apology. And when the narrator read the diary instead of apologizing to her, she decided it was the last straw and stormed off. I wonder why they didn't mention anything about school if the girl didn't speak anymore, like did the teachers and classmates not notice anything different?

Second is that the sister probably did "break" but since she wasn't brought to the hospital or didn't see a therapist, it got worse.

I know this is not a cryptic story but I just can't shake the feeling that something was missed.
Anonymous said…
Nice
Anonymous said…
Everyone is interpreting it as the girl getting brain damage, but for some reason I interpreted it as the girl actually died, but something else took over her body and that thing is only learning how to be human and to communicate, hence all the gibberish in the diary. But I guess I've just been reading too many scary stories!
I'm so glad you love the stories I post! It was worth the efforts 😭 LOL

I like stories that have some depth!

I know! You don't want to know what kind of things I did to my brother when we fought in the past 😱 LOL

But yes, this could happen to anyone! That's the scariest part!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment πŸ™πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–
It's good thing you pointed that out to me, because I have forgotten to mention the gender! πŸ˜…I knew it because it was obvious from the personal pronoun the narrator used in Japanese. He used "Ore" to refer to himself which is usually used only by men. I am going to edit the post now and add a note.

Your story is so funny and I can relate because I have an older brother πŸ˜†✨

Thank you so much for your comment!πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“
Hello, Mercury 5! Thank you so much for sharing your theories!

I too wonder how she was managing at school and whether the change in her behaviour wasn't noticed by anyone πŸ˜†⭐

Perhaps much more stuff was going on behind the scenes! It could have been that she ran away of her own volition, as you say!

Thank you so much for your comment!πŸ™πŸ’•
Thank you ~πŸ˜†πŸ’•
That's possible too ~ πŸ˜†⭐
What happened to her is too weird!

Thank you so much for sharing your theory!❤️❤️❤️
Anonymous said…
Didn't the narrator check the sister's pulse? Have you ever heard of PTSD? A trauma, wether phisical or psichological can change totally a person, specially after a hit to the head, which can be dangerous
Aeri chan~ said…
Maybe the girl was as stressed as her brother. It seems like they lived with the wrong parents, and maybe the remote tragedy was the girl's last straw. It seems that long before her body died, her soul died first? What the heck am i talking about πŸ₯²πŸ€£
George V said…
What a sad story. I too think that the sister is dead, his guilt over what happened, warped his sense of reality.
I hope she isn't dead yet 🀣

Sometimes parents do their best but end up being toxicπŸ˜†

Thank you so much for your comment!
I think that theory would make the story more interesting!πŸ˜†

Thank you so much for your comment!
allucinator said…
The hell. Nothing supernatural here. Just a typical tragedy in CJK. They better be asking the nearby train stations... I am imagining many things. This feels like a non-fictional horror.

This story was just so detailed.
Yes, it sounds non-fictional!

Most of the stories here sound much more non-fictional in the original Japanese, because they are all written by ordinary people, not professional writers. I wish everyone knew this. It's not only my fault that the writing sounds bad at times. 😭LOL
But I want to retain the flavour of the original writings as much as I can, rather than make it feel more sophisticated in the process of translating.

Sorry I rambled on🀣⭐

Some Asian parents are terrible because of how they put so much pressure on their kids 😭

Thank you so much for your comment!
allucinator said…
The detailed mundanity of the stories is what makes them special.
Second Sun said…
Sayaaa! γŠη–²γ‚Œζ§˜γ§γ—γŸ! ごめんね! εΏ™γ—γ„γ™γŽ ww

Wow this time's story is really different from the others! Really depressing as I can legitimately see this happening 😭

Thank you for the translation this time too! It's because of you that the horror of such a story is conveyed really well πŸ˜†

でわでわ, ζ₯ι€±γ‚‚ζ₯½γ—み!
Hello, Second Sunけゃん!

Don't cry because this kind of thing would never happen to you!πŸ˜†✨

You're very welcome! I'm so grateful for your kind words! I'm glad so glad you find the story enjoyable!

またね〜
Take care!🌸
Nana said…
Is it possible that the Daikon comment the narrator read can be read another way, since it was written in hiragana?

I do however also think that their parents were extremely pressuring, and that this was somewhat of a last straw for her. Siblings argue often, but it might be in this case that they argued so often because they were both very stressed!

Thanks again for your amazing translations!! <3
I don't think that word had a double meaning, but you never know!πŸ˜†✨

Yes, it appears that the parents were putting too much pressure on their kids!

You're welcome and thank you so much for leaving a comment πŸ™πŸ’•
Anonymous said…
Thank you very much for translating these stories. It’s like as if new urban legends are still being created until this day. I think the theory on what one user said above was correct but rather here’s more extra to it. Spirit possession is most likely to happen when you’re at your most vulnerable. This can be when you’re asleep, drunk, or passed out to some degree.The brother throwing the remote knocked her unconscious leaving her in a vulnerable state for a spirit to take over her body. Now I’m not sure if begging for forgiveness would have done something to the spirit such as knocking the spirit out so the sister could return back, but it seemed as if it was trying to prevent him from doing so.
hashibrownmoto.blogspot.com said…
http://www.pathwaybalancing.co.uk/blog/soul-shock-and-trauma#:~:text=Wholistically%20and%20spiritually%2C%20it%20is,part%20of%20the%20traumatic%20reaction. This+Spirit Possession is what I think occurred or maybe just her being traumatized. Also, now that I read it more, what a rude brother who ran away. He had all the time to apologize but only chose to do so after he got caught snooping in her room. The nerve of that man.
Anonymous said…
Here is what I found Saya, white radishes spiritually means to revert back into a pure and simple minded state. To heal/cleanse from a physical/mental injury.To frog a sock in Australian slang is emotionally or/and verbally angry. In this sense, the sister is emotionally angry. Shiitake mushrooms=healing oneself, but it can also mean death/curse. The sister deeply traumatized by the accident reverts back into a simple and pure minded state trying to heal so she can be normal again. I also think white radish, frog, and shiitake mushroom means something akin to harm a delicate flower with something forceful and scarring one mentally. Had the brother left things alone, in time she would have been able to heal and move forward through the trauma. Because he entered her room and violated her personal space and read her diary, he and her family became dead to her. The reason she keeps on writing that saying in her diary in big letters is so she can remind herself that she can heal from this and not let her anger/vengeful thoughts win over her. After this, She is physically angry and unable to heal/move forward killing her old self in the process and running away from home cursing her family to feel what she was feeling?,I imagine the family was also putting stress/pressure on her because they had no hope in their son which is losing her trust/hope in them.
SAYA said…
You’re welcome ~🩷
A very interesting theory! Thank you so much for sharing it! It would be so scary to think some other spirit had taken over her😱⭐️
SAYA said…
Oh thank you for sharing the link to an interesting article!

The brother’s actions were not exactly praiseworthy, but let us remember that he was a child himself, and under much stress.πŸ˜†
I hope I could take different actions in the same situation, but I am just human too, so I might have made similar mistakes! You never know!
SAYA said…
Thank you so much for your detailed analysis! Very informative!

I would be so sad to think that she was trying to heal yet felt such deep despair that she had to run away from home😭