Neko Sensei (Dr. Cat)

If you would like to be notified of future posts, follow me on:

My Instagram:

My Twitter:

❤️NEXT UPDATE: Saturday 28th October! 


(Translated and Arranged by Saya)

Bakeneko (yokai cat) by Utagawa Yoshifuji


This is a story I heard from my older brother and his senpai at a local enkai (Note:a drinking party, banquet).1️⃣

My brother, when he was in high school, was a member of a gang (Note: furyo or yankee group in Japanese) that used an abandoned hospital as their hangout. 

The hospital was a famous haunted place in our home town, but ever since it became the gang’s hangout, no one would dare to go there casually for kimodameshi

It looked like a total mess inside the building, but there were a lot of medical apparatus and documents left behind, which made it seem as though the people in it had done a moonlight flit.

One night, my brother and his friends were killing time in the hospital as usual. 

My brother was walking down a corridor when:

“Please, come in.” 

Someone called him from one of the rooms. 

He opened the door without thinking, and entered a room that looked like an examination room; and sitting demurely on a chair in front of a desk was a neko (Note: a Japanese word for cat). 

My brother felt confused for a moment, but:

“Please, have a seat.” 
The neko spoke to him. 

For some reason, my brother thought, “ oh yeah, I need to see the doctor,” and pulling a chair, he sat down in front of the neko. 

The neko asked him many questions related to his health, and he answered it one by one.

When they had finished, the neko said:
“Listen, you have a lump in your jaw. You will need to be hospitalised.”

My brother didn’t want to be hospitalised and tried to weasel his way out of it, but the neko explained in detail why it needed to be done, giving him many medical reasons. 

In the end, my brother felt persuaded that it would be in his best interest to admit himself to the hospital. 
So he said to the neko, I understand, please can you tell me how I can be admitted to the hospital? 

Right at the same moment, his senpai opened the door and entered the room. 

According to the senpai, when he was walking down the corridor, he heard my brother’s voice coming from the other side of the door. 

He at first thought my brother was talking to himself, but then noticed that it sounded more like he was responding to someone else. 
So the senpai, suspicious, opened the door, and found my brother sitting on a chair, talking to the neko. 

The neko took flight as soon as it saw the senpai and disappeared into darkness.

My brother came to his senses immediately, and thought:
Did that neko talk?
What was I doing just now? 
And he became really scared. 

But nothing further happened and my brother went home with the others at the crack of dawn. 

After that, my brother no longer really felt like hanging out at the hospital, and he and the senpai avoided going there as much as they could.

About half a year later, my brother went to the dentist because of a toothache, and was told something surprising there. 

There was a small shadow on his x-ray. 

Comparison with the last x-ray he took, together with the size of the shadow, indicated that it had been formed within the past year. 

So what the neko had told him was true! 
My brother was so shocked.

Eventually, my brother was referred to a doctor at a university hospital, and was hospitalised there for 10 days to have his jaw tumour removed. 

I was still an elementary school kid at the time, and I remember visiting him in the hospital.

Luckily, the tumour was benign, and it never returned, so my brother is still alive and kicking.

My brother assumed that the neko had appeared to him to forewarn him of the illness.
He later bought some cat food and left it in the hospital to show his gratitude to the neko. 

But something doesn’t feel quite right to me.

If the senpai hadn’t opened the door, and my brother had agreed to be hospitalised as the neko had strongly recommended, what would have happened to him?

What did the neko mean by hospitalisation? 

I start feeling strangely scared when I think about it. 



————
1️⃣ Enkai: A drinking party or banquet.
Most English articles on enkai focuses on enkai at work place, but it can happen between friends and family too. 


Hope you liked the story!❤️


Comments

SAYA said…
Hello, everyone! I hope you have all been well! 😊✨

The next update will be on 28th October, and since it’s Halloween, I intend to post something special 💕

I hope to see you all again then ~~🌸

Thank you so much as always for visiting my blog! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments below!
George V said…
That was a fun one. I will have to ask my cat, if she has any medical knowledge.
Mr. DBoM said…
Interesting. I think the this neko might be a variation of those hospital cats who can tell if someone is ill/dying (Oscar is a good example), or the brother just did some "suspicious activities" while killing time with his friends (they were in a gang anyway) and talked to a random stray cat. Either way, getting neko-hospitalized does not sound like a very good idea.
SAYA said…
Oh you have a cat? So lucky ~ 😆💕
I hope they have some medical knowledge! That would be so cool ~ 🤣⭐️

Thank you so much for your comment!
SAYA said…
Oh! I didn’t know there were cats like them! 🤣✨

In Japan, there was an octopus that could predict the outcome of a football game, I think 🤣⭐️

After reading your comment for the third time, I finally understood what you meant by “suspicious activities “!🤣✨⭐️

Thank you so much for your comment!
Anonymous said…
You know, we tend to either exaggerate or downplay when it comes to the supernaturals, perhaps because we don't know much about them. I doubt the cat meant anything bad when it recommended hospitalization, it'd probably answer with "Well, you can visit actual, proper hospital! I can write a referral for you." XD

In the same vein, I can imagine the cat showing up when the brother visited with a cat food, and saying, "I apologize, but we don't accept that as payment. You should instead contact your insurance company, they should have SOP for dealing with us."
Anonymous said…
Nekomata and bakeneko are dangerous yokai in Japanese mithology. Bakeneko MAY be benigns, but that the exception, not the rule. Nekomatas are almost always hostile to humans.
Was that cat a benign bakeneko or did the brother get lucky that time?
allucinator said…
It reminds me of that cat named Oscar:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77981#1

"Soon, he was making his own rounds, sniffing patients and looking them over, then he would curl up beside a patient who died a few hours later."
SAYA said…
@1st Anonymous:
That’s a really positive attitude you have there! I like it! It makes this story so heartwarming! 😊💕Thank you so much for sharing your theory!

@2nd Anonymous:
Thank you so much for clarifying the two types of cat yokai for us!😆✨

I hope it was a good yokai, if it was a yokai! 🤣✨
SAYA said…
Oh so that is Oscar the cat who was also mentioned by another reader above! 😆💕 Thank you so much for providing the link! I have just read the article and it’s such a beautiful story! I love it!
Anonymous said…
Where I live, it is believed that cats have healing, or rather, soothing powers. If someone is in pain and a cat comes and lays near where that person hurts, the cat heals that person and the pain goes away.
So this story feels quite wholesome, thank you for the translation!
SAYA said…
I’m glad you found it wholesome!😊🌸

That’s nice that people in your country view cats in such a positive way✨⭐️

You’re welcome and thank you so much for your lovely comment 💕
Amuletyu said…
Thank you for providing this wholesome creepy story! I always wonder how do cats have that magical power to heal and know when there’s something wrong. I wonder if it was trained before being here on earth? Now this makes me want to visit an abandon hospital LOL just kidding! I would never, I am too scared.
SAYA said…
Hello! Long time no see! 💕

I would never go visit an abandoned building of any kind!😱⭐️
Especially after I heard about two Japanese girls who went missing after they told others they were going to visit such a building for kimodameshi, and later found dead😱

Cats and dogs sometimes seem to see things that humans often can’t see!
I remember seeing an article about a dog who sniffed out someone’s illness too!

Thank you so much for your comment!!🌸 Come again ~ ⭐️✨
Aeri chan~ said…
Free medical examination is a win for me😸
SAYA said…
The examination might have been for free, but the incarceration might have cost him his life 🤣🤣🤣✨

Thank you so much for your comment!❤️
Steeple said…
if the "hospitalization" was a hostile-ization, i cant help but wonder if dr cat caused that tumor... still, appeasing that spirit might not be a bad idea.
Anonymous said…
Oh! It would be so scary if the cat was responsible for the tumour!😱 I hope he isn’t an evil cat!!

Thank you so much for your comment!
SAYA said…
It was me, SAYA who left a comment above 😆