Sento

If you would like to be notified of future posts:

*Follow Me on Twitter @Saya_Underworld
*Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/saya_in_underworld
(Translated and arranged by Saya)

 

πŸ’–Hi, everyone! Guess what... This is a new CRYPTIC STORY!!!πŸ˜†πŸ’–

Please comment below and tell me what you think the answer is!


A traditional sento building (Kodakarayu, Tokyo)
                                                                                                                                                 
Inside a sento (Atamiyu, Tokyo)

 
 I go to a sento ( public bath house) every day.*1
 After a bath, I always like to have a sauna; that is part of my daily routine. 
  I have been in a sauna for a few minutes when another man comes in. 
I decide to play a game. I won't leave the sauna unless he leaves it first. 
This game is also part of my daily routine. 
  10 minutes goes by. The man is a fatso who must weigh much more than 100 kg. 
  15 minutes goes by. He is sweating like crazy. Isn't it about time you give up, fatso? 
   18 minutes goes by. Finally the fatso stands up. He looks as if he will pass out any minute. He staggers to the door and leaves. 
   I win! I clench my first and raise it in the air in triumphant victory.



I wake up and find myself in an unfamiliar room. 
  An old guy is peering down at me. I have seen him before.
  Oh yes, he is the guy I saw at the reception desk.*2 The old guy says, "I found you when I went to check the sauna. You were sitting unconscious against the door." 
  It looks like I passed out from heatstroke. I guess I pushed myself too hard. 
  The old guy gives a heavy sigh. "It was a lot of work to carry you to this room. Be careful next time." 
   I thank him and go home. I think I might have some cold beer*3 before going to bed. 

 
 
---------------------------------------------
NOTES: 

*1 Sento ---- Sentō (銭湯) is a type of Japanese communal bathhouse where
customers pay for entrance. (Wikipedia)
Inside a sento (It often has a picture of Mt. Fuji. There are artists who specialize in drawing pictures for sento walls.)
More links:

*2 The guy at the reception desk ---- "Bandai (η•ͺ台)" in Japanese. The word refers
to both the desk and the person who sits at it. Bandai is the place where you pay the entrance fee for sento. You can also buy stuff like towels, soap and shampoo there.
Bandai

 
*3 Beer in Japan:
 
---------------------------------------------
 Read more cryptic stories from here:

Comments

Sydney Pacione said…
I believe this guy was looking at his own reflection... He was found passed out against the door, meaning that no one could have exited past him. And the receptionist said it was difficult to carry him, meaning he may have been overweight. If that’s the case, how the hell did his reflection get up and walk out?
Saya_In_Underworld said…
You have so great points there πŸ˜†πŸ‘⭐πŸ’–✨
Saya_In_Underworld said…
*some great points
ElitePetite said…
Hallucinations are a symptom of severe heat stroke, but that doesn't explain how he saw someone else come in.
sardine god said…
Ah... even though I summoned the power of a thousand sardines I could not even solve this one. This riddle will occupy my mind for the next few days!

Jokes aside, Saya-san, I want to thank you for something. I found a tweet from seven or eight years ago on my twitter account when I was cleaning up old stuff. I found a post where I was upset, but it was you who offered me kind words and wished that I was alright. So I did not have the heart to delete that tweet, because I cherish that memory.

I'd like to thank you for being a wonderful person. You could say that I grew up with reading your blog. It has accompanied me since when I was still at school, all the way until where I am today. A lot of the stories you translated have inspired me in my own creative projects.

Sorry that I had to write an essay here in the comments. I wish you good health and happiness in every day of your life!
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Awwww ☺️πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“✨✨✨
Thank you so much for all your lovely words. You made my day!⭐✨⭐✨⭐✨
I am so touched!

I am so grateful that you value this blog so much! I am sure I posted many pretty disturbing stuff here but somehow everyone who reads my blog is sweet and kindhearted πŸ˜†✨
So far I haven't really met any psychos LoL ✨

Please, by all means, use these comment sections to write essays 🀣✨Your comment is always welcome! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–✨

One thousand sardines and a little hint from me will probably be enough to solve this one. πŸ˜†⭐ I will write a hint in a separate comment now!

Thank you so much again for your comment! You are wonderful too🌈✨✨✨⭐
Saya_In_Underworld said…
πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€OK lovely people. I will give you a big clue to solving this cryptic story!

Notice how the paragraphs are laid out!
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Also there are two main characters in this story!
Yukari said…
Two main characters in the story ... so we have two men, both of whom secretly play the game of not leaving before the other one does? The first one would be the fat one who talks about his daily routine. He comes into the sauna when the second one is already there. So they play their game and eventually, the fat man gives up and leaves, but collapses against the door from the outside (and that is where the receptionist found him). Since he blocked the door when he collapsed, and the receptionist was probably occupied with getting him to the other room and may not have checked the inside of the sauna, the other man could not leave. Since he was in there for so much longer than the other one, the unfamiliar room he wakes up in is either the sauna, a room at the hospital or (if it´s a ghost story) the morgue.
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Ahh! That's so close! I will tell you "the answer" I heard later πŸ˜†πŸ’ž⭐
Amuletyu said…
IS THE FATSO THE RECEPTION GUY TRYING TO CARRY HIM OUT OF THE SAUNA?? Sorry it’s in caps cause I was too excited to figure this out XD. IT MAKES SENSE CAUSE THE RECEPTIONIST HAD A HARD TIME CARRYING HIM OUT OF THE SAUNA and the sauna was hot so he must’ve been sweating
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Such an interesting theory! I have never thought of that! πŸ˜†⭐πŸ’“

It's different from the answer I heard, but is just as valid✨
allucinator said…
If the fatso was unconscious against the door, wouldn't the other one get trapped inside the sauna and might pass out too?
Saya_In_Underworld said…
You are rightπŸ˜†πŸŽ΅✨
glenn said…
is the first narrator a ghost? who else can afford a public bathhouse every single day �� and the second narrator is the fatso who didn't even see the first narrator in the sauna, he was just pushing himself too far in there.
George V said…
I have to go with the mirror theory as well. Reminds me of the episode of Gintama where Gin and Hijikata try to beat each other.
Sunny said…
Oh my god I get it.

The first character is still stuck in the sauna and is probably steamed and cooked to tender perfection because the old guy only checked the entrance to the sauna and not inside because he was preoccupied with the 100kg guy that was blocking the door.

Jesus christ saya. Hes dead.
Saya_In_Underworld said…
The fee for public bath houses are not so expensive. 490 yen at most in urban areas and in rural areas it can be as cheap as 280 yen! πŸ˜†✨
Saya_In_Underworld said…
I saw a picture from Gintama while searching for images of saunaπŸ˜†⭐
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Exactly πŸ˜†πŸŽ΅✨

I will write "the answer" soon in a separate comment!
Diogo Valverde said…
This man really likes beer. Heat strokes are no joke, but his first was not that he needed to see a doctor, but rather that he needed a brewski. I respect his love for beer.
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Yeah since he says he wants to drink beer, OBVIOUSLY he likes beer. That's not cryptic 🀣⭐⭐⭐✨
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Since everyone must be DYING to know what the answer I knew of is, I will write it down here!πŸ˜†✨

Those two paragraphs in the story are narrated by two different people!

The first one is obviously narrated by the man who goes to a sento every day.
The second one is narrated by the fatso!

The fatso leaves the sauna and immediately collapses. The man of the first paragraph can't get out and probably dies in there.πŸ˜†✨

Makes sense?🎡✨
Anonymous said…
this is puzzling -
i thought the guy in the first paragraph was watching a mirror, and not a door, then passed out shortly after 'winning' his game. which then makes u wonder how he saw his own reflection walk in and out.
Vedanth Kamath said…
Bandai is also the famous toy co. Of JapanπŸ˜…Anyways I did not find it paranormal, but waking up mysteriously in a different room is indeed scary!
CreanJinSung said…
Since Saya-san already said the answer. I'll theorize on what happened to man #1

Since man #2 blocked the door to get out of the sauna. Man #1 died happily as he is victorious in his challenge to himself- Lasting longer than man #2. He died a winner and has been rewarded with soft and moist skin for the rest of his life xD
Saya_In_Underworld said…
I love how people come up with different stories! πŸ˜†πŸ’“✨
Saya_In_Underworld said…
Yeah but the Chinese characters that go with it and the pronunciation are different πŸ˜†✨
Saya_In_Underworld said…
I wonder πŸ˜†⭐ I hope he died happy LoL ✨
fuuchi said…
HAHA I THOUGHT OF THAT TOO ^^
Anonymous said…
Interesting story, Saya-san. :)

I cheated and read others' answers. Haha.
I think that the writer was actually bigger than the "fatso" and he was just "playing" because of self-denial, because he could just not get up and leave first.

Thank you for the story. :)

- nunu -
It's OK because those kinds of stories are hard for me to solve too πŸ˜†✨ Thank you for your comment!