Bathroom Mirror

If you would like to be notified of future posts, follow me on:

My Instagram:

My X:

❤️Updating Every Saturday Evening (Japan Time)



(Translated and Arranged by Saya)

This happened to me 11 years ago, while living in a certain apartment in Kyoto for a very brief period of time. 


Although I was a student at the time, I took great pains to move into a room that had its own bathroom. 
It was because I had been told by a friend that a shared bathroom would be inconvenient if I ever wanted to bring a girl home.

On the first day I moved in, while washing my hair in the bathroom, I happened to look into a mirror — and saw a reflection of a woman in there. 

She was right behind me, half crouching, and staring at me through the mirror. 

I couldn’t turn around or shout, as if I were suffering from sleep paralysis, but I did manage to stretch out my hand and touch her clothes. 
That confirmed that she was a real person, but it didn’t make me feel any less scared. 

After a while, the woman stood up, opened the door and left the bathroom. 

I checked the front door once I got out of the bathroom, but it was locked. 
However, one of the windows was open.

I then searched the room but there was no place for a person to hide. 

That day, the sensation of my hand when I touched her clothes was so real, and the way she walked out of the bathroom seemed so human-like, that I thought that the person must have entered my room through the window.

The following day, despite having made sure I locked the front door and windows first before having a bath, the woman appeared again. 

Just like the day before, she stared at me for sometime, and then opened the door and left. 

Again, I was paralysed during the whole time she was there. 

As soon as she was gone, I got out of the bathroom, and checked the door and windows again, but they were all locked. 

I was freaked out and called my landlord immediately. 


The landlord, having listened to my story, began telling me, “I have never heard such a thing happening in that room…,” but then went on to say, “the person who rented the room before you committed suicide.” 

About three months after moving in, the previous resident jumped from the rooftop of a school building. 

My immediate thought was:
Wait…, is he talking about that woman?

But no, it turned out that the previous resident was a man. 

It’s too creepy and I would like to move out, I told the landlord.
He said he could return the deposit to me if I moved out within a month of moving in, so I decided to find another apartment and move out during the following week. 

After this I never had a bath again in the room, so probably that is why I never saw the woman again.

It was just after I had found a new place and while packing up my belongings (there wasn’t much to pack because most of my things were still in cardboard boxes anyway) that I discovered for the first time a chest of drawers at the bottom of an oshi-ire (Note: a Japanese style closet).

Oshi-ire

I also noticed that there was an envelope from a photo studio placed on top of the chest of drawers. 
When I opened it, I found twenty five photos and an ofuda (talisman) inside. 

All of them were photos of that bathroom mirror. 
And no one was reflected in the mirror except a man who was holding a camera. 
But in the last few photos, the door behind the man was open. 

That was all those photos showed, but they sent shivers down my spine. 

Supposing that it was the previous resident  who took these photos, for what purpose did he take them?
What was he trying to capture with his camera? 

As I pondered on these questions, I suddenly couldn’t stand being in the room anymore, and after putting the photos back to where I found them, I hurriedly left the room. 

That was the only time in my life that I experienced something paranormal.


Comments

Hello, everyone! How are you?😊

To be honest, I’m getting a bit tired of translating 🀣 so I might be posting something really short next week.

And also, I might be getting rid of my social media accounts except for the one for my drawings on instagram.
I feel they are taking up too much of my time.

Anyway, thank you so much as always for coming to my blog!
I look forward to reading your comments πŸ’•
Aeri chan~ said…
Dang it , Japan already suffering from low birth rate now ghost try to kill youngster too 😰

(≧∇≦)/yayy i'm the first to comment
@Aeri chan

Well done for being the first to comment .~ 🀣✨

Indeed! The existence of ghosts are not helping to increase the birth rates 🀣⭐️

Thank you so much for your comment 🩷
allucinator said…
Tangible? Imagine if the guy is longing for a touch. He's gonna have a field day on that ghost. Or perhaps it wasn't a ghost.
George V said…
I loved this one. Thanks you Saya for a chill down my spine.
Roberta said…
Thank you for the story, Saya!

This story might be inexplicable, but I think it's actually pretty scary because of how relatable it is. I'm currently living alone, renting a place with its own bathroom as well, and sure enough it also has a mirror in the bathroom. Combined with the fact that I often come back home late, which also means I often use the bathroom when it's really late. Such living condition shouldn't be that unusual, so I really think you picked a good story to translate!

And please, take a good rest! I don't know about the other readers, but I personally wouldn't mind it if you take a break for a week or two, as I wouldn't want you to get burned out. Wish you all the best, cheers!
Steeple said…
bathroom ghosts are so rude. im trying to do my business, not entertain hanako! wait your turn or fuck off

of course the real reason its often bathrooms is because they're small, private, yet vulnerable spaces. like how under the bed is seen as a den for monsters.

take your time, saya! looks like you did a huge series so you deserve a break :) i love your blog so much so i wanna make sure you're doing okay too
@allucinator
He might have wanted a girl in his house so much that he hallucinated?🀣
Thank you so much for your comment!⭐️
@George V
I’m glad you like it! It’s one of those stories that stick in your mind for some reason!
I wonder what the man witnessed in the bathroom before he died 😱

Thank you so much for your comment ✨
@Roberta
The pleasure is mine πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

Ohh😱 but don’t worry, no scary paranormal entity would haunt your bathroom!!
You may only find cute little fairies that bring you good luck, because you are a good person ~ ✨

Thank you so much for your kind words!
I have some longer stories that I would really love to translate, but I’m a bit burnt out, as you have rightly pointed out 😱
I might take a break for a week or two soon!

Thank you again and take care ~ πŸ’–

@Steeple

Yes, she might have just wanted to take a bath too and was just too impatient 🀣

The bathroom is also a wet place, which in Japanese folklore tends to attract spiritsπŸ˜†

Thank you so much for being so kind and caring πŸ™πŸ»
I think I ought to take a break before I get sick of translating and go into a long hiatus πŸ˜†⭐️
I appreciate your adviceπŸ™πŸ»✨ I’m also glad to know you love my blog! It means a lot to me!
Anonymous said…
Saya I love your blog and have been reading it for years, I've read a few different blogs/listened to a few different podcasts and the creators often burn out and disappear after some time - if I remember right you also took a prolonged hiatus a long time ago and I was so shocked to see the blog revived.

I know it can be tiring and I wish I knew the Japanese language and Japanese culture well enough so I could help with translations to help ease your burden a bit!

All this is to say, I truly appreciate your blog and hope you never get too tired to keep it going, although of course everyone would understand if you outgrow it one day :)
@Anonymous (18 March 2024 at 12:39)

Awww thank you so much for being so caring and kindπŸ˜ŠπŸ™πŸ»πŸ’–

Japanese language can be so tricky to translate 😭 but I do my best!

I have already kind of outgrown it, but there are so many fans and I am continuing this blog for themπŸ˜†
I love it when people come to me and tell me how they have enjoyed it for years and they have grown up reading my blog stories!

I’ll keep it going as on long as I can! 😊
Thank you again for your encouragement πŸ™πŸ»