The Boy Who Loved the Occult

(Translated from Japanese by Saya)

There was this high school boy who one day suddenly began seeing some weird shapes darting about out of the corner of his eye.
Since then, he would often see black shadows and lights of unknown origin.
He told his family about it, but no one would lend an ear to him.

Not only that, his mother chided him for talking nonsense.
The reason for this was that his mother was aware that the boy loved all sorts of things relating to the occult and would often watch occult TV shows and exhibit other weird behaviours.
So that was why his mother flew into a temper saying,
"You are watching those silly things all the time, and that's why you have started imagining things!"

Before long, the boy started having a strange headache and feeling weak in the whole body.
Seeing the state he was in, his mother became furious even more.
"You are just being lazy. Stop your silly talk and behave yourself!"
And then ignoring his protests, she threw away all his occult collectibles, and continued to force him to go to school everyday.

However, some days later, the boy collapsed at school and was taken to the hospital.
The doctor's diagnosis showed that the boy had brain tumors.
The doctor asked the mother, "Didn't your son tell you that he's been unwell? Why didn't you bring him to the hospital sooner?"
The mother apparently just broke down and cried.

I wonder who was to be blamed for this?
The boy who loved the occult too much and was acting weird all the time,
or the mother who never tried to listen to her son properly?

Comments

Nowadays, people scare me more than ghosts do :D
Unknown said…
That's one example of bad parenting ._.

And yeah @Lady Saya I must agree with you.
CreanJinSung said…
I stub my toe and go to the ER.

People are always scarier than ghosts. My theory is ghost stories were made to make people focus on them more instead of evil people.
George V said…
Sad story. If only the mother had listened:(
Gabriel said…
I couldn't agree more with you Saya, people are definitely scarier than ghosts!
Poor kid, and the worst part about this story is that this kind of stuff happens all the time. Especially with mental disorders like depression, where it's often mistaken as lazyness and gets people shunned for it, when they're actually sick and need help and care.

I feel like this story teaches a really important lesson. Thanks a lot for translating it for us, Saya! Take care
Howdy, everyone! :D


@Sir Calvin Taylor Bad mothers are pandemic all over the world!
I'm glad my own mother is an angel from Heaven! XD


@Shishou I didn't know you had such a soft side to you, Master! XD


@CreanJinSung An interesting theory, indeed!


@George VanMeter Oh no! Am I making you cry again? I hope your mother red panda doesn't come and shout at me for making you cry!


@Gabriel I heard a theory before that Sloth, one of the Seven Deadly Sins, originally meant depression, because people who are depressed have no energy and appear to be lazy!

Thank you, Gabriel, for always posting enjoyable comments! :D You take care of yourself too! <3



THANKS A LOT EVERYONE AGAIN, for your lovely comments! <3<3 See you!
Diogo Valverde said…
Alternatively, the title of this story could also be "The Woman Who Loved Bad Parenting", and it would be just as fitting.
@Diogo Yeah, but if I start seeing things my own mother wouldn't take me seriously either XD
Petzie said…
Maybe the reason behind the boy liking occult was he hoped it'll relieve him from the pain.... Yeah, i agree.. these days, people are scarier than ghosts
ReignTracer said…
A parent should show a little interest in the things their children likes, who knows, they might learn something about their children that is not just based on how he is doing in school. Plus showing an interest in your child's interest might make you learn more about what your own interests are. so much interest in one reply
Ekky Sanyotho said…
I can relate with this one, back when I first read your blog years ago, I was only laid back young man spent most of time playing video games. Now I'm a father, when my daughter get scared of something or feeling sick, no matter how nonsense that was, I always listening to her. I dont want to let her down.