Strange Ability


Tokyo Metro
(Translated by Saya)

This is a cryptic story! :D

I often use Tokyo Metro.
Every morning, I saw a homeless guy hanging around inside the metro station who kept mumbling something to himself.

I one day sidled up to the wall beside him, and listened in on his mumbling.
An old woman walked past in front of him, and the guy mumbled,
"Pig."
Was he just bad-mouthing people, comparing them to animals?
The next person who walked past was a businessman. The guy mumbled,
"Man."
Ah, yes, he does seem to represent an ordinary man.
On another day, I sidled up to him and listened in on him again to while away the time.
A tired-looking scrawny man walked past before our eyes, and the guy mumbled,
"Cow."
Cow? He looks more like a skinny bird to me.
Next, a typical fat man walked past, and the guy mumbled,
"Vegetable."
Vegetable? He must be mistaking him for a pig.

I went back home and spend some time in contemplation.
Perhaps the homeless guy could tell what sort of things people would get reincarnated into in the next life?
Keeping the theory in mind, I observed the guy for a few more times. The more I observed him, the more I became convinced that my theory was correct.

One day I mustered the courage to ask him about his ability, and begged him to tell me how he came to possess the ability.
The homeless guy, after looking at me with dull, lifeless eyes,  held his hand over my head without words.
That was the last time I saw the homeless guy. When I went to the station the next day, he was gone.
Was he a wizard?** Or perhaps even a god?

Now I had the ability too.
But it was different from what I had expected.
It just revealed to me what the last things people had eaten before I saw them.
It was such a ludicrous ability that I burst out laughing.

--------------------------------
**A wizard - Sennin in the original text. The word denotes a man who has become enlightened and immortal through special discipline (Wikipedia).

Comments

Can you all tell me your favourite post on my blog? :D
Unknown said…
Hi saya! I feel like.. you have postes this years ago.. maybe I was wrong.. haha

Really happy to see you back! I keep checking your blog monhtly even after you were "gone", because I believe you will come back one day!

anyway for the story, that business "man" looks interesting right! hahahaha
Hi dear :D I believe someone else has already translated this story before somewhere, so you might have seen it there.
Yes I'm glad I'm back too. Thank you! <3
CreanJinSung said…
I've heard of this as a riddle before. If that homeless man saw me he would be so confused because I usually combine a lot of things before eating it.

Like how would he say the amalgamation of food I stuff in my mouth. "Rice with pork and vegetables with some ketchup and why do you have to combine so many things on your spoon?"
Unknown said…
definitely the Kisaragi station if you asking from ALLL your blog posts. if among the recent one definitely "The Windows"
sooo happy to see u finally come back Saya after such a long time.

anw about this post actually I laughed at first until I realized the businessman just ate a man!
CreanJinSung said…
My favorite posts has to be the Tarako Kewpie advertisements. I get excited now when I see Kewpie (just the baby part) in grocery stores. I've yet to see the baby-fish thing.
George V said…
Another super power I would never want. Nice story.
Gabe said…
Mine's My Master Series! I hope you'll update them again
Gabriel said…
It's pretty difficult to say which one is my favorite, there are just so many great posts! I'll agree with Tri that Kisaragi station is one of my favs, but I also adore everything under the Cursed tag.
And the Ritual posts always stick with me, one that I always remember is the Black Telephone one.

Btw, this story gives me a sense of deja vu, I feel like I've seen it before. Maybe on /x/, or maybe it's just my impression!
Either way, just like the others said, it's pretty dark to consider there was one cannibal just casually strolling around :p

Thank you very much for translating this one for us! Take care and hope you have a good week.
I absolutely adore the post with the video of the spirits in a Buddhist Temple. There are so many great posts on here, but the mystery and eeriness of the video makes it my favourite
Haem said…
Oh my, then the business man...

Also that would be an awkward ability to have since I would be hungry all the time because it would make me think about food all the time!
Haem said…
It's hard to think in just one haha. But I really love the cryptic stories and the cursed ones! :D
Unknown said…
The businessman sure had an important meal with a client before :D
Lynne said…
knew this one differently. where the homeless guy simply revealed to the man that he has this ability. but yeah pretty much same thing 'bout the cannibal businessman.
Banake said…
I knew this one, but when I read It was just called 'Ability'. =P
Jessica said…
Probably the one about the red through the keyhole story, i'll never forget it! but i love all your cryptic stories (:
It would make the homeless man so hungry if he ever saw you!
The Japanese has a saying that goes "it's best to be ordinary." XD
George V said…
While I like everything here, the one that stands out for me is Uba-Yo-Sare. Favorite categories are Curses, Urban Legends, and Rituals.
I would never have pictures of food as the wallpaper for my computer and mobile phone XD
Isn't human meat greasy? I don't think I would find it appetizing! XD
The story is classic, so I thought I needed to have it on my blog too.
Cool. But these cryptic stories in their original version never come with titles. It's up to the translator to give them titles.
Thank you everyone for leaving comments! :D I will keep in mind your favourites and requests, and make sure I translate stories that you guys would like! :D <3 <3
CreanJinSung said…
Hypothesis on the story: What if the businessman ate a man but he thought it was just another dish? I read somewhere human flesh tastes like a sweet ham. So what if he was at a cannibal's dinner party? Dun dun duuuuuun!
allucinator said…
That Santa Claus who makes fun of a kid, and the "empty chair" technique (psychology) but with a twist: a very dark room where you are completely alone.
Diogo Valverde said…
*Looks at himself*

Chicken.
I should be careful what I eat at a party too! lol
arghous said…
My favorite is the "I love your kami" one. Then the My Master ones.

I confess I don't get much out of the cryptic stories or the rituals.
Shiawase said…
My fave will always be The Case that Chilled a Psychiatrist to the Bone. It's what actually brought me here many years ago after googling something for a research paper. It gave me the creeps back then, still does for me right now. I truly hope I don't encounter such a scenario in my practice ever.

Sooo glad you're back. :)
My favorites are Kisaragi Station,One man Hide And Seek,Telephone to a different world,Elevator Game,and that cursed ritual post with the creepy lady in a white kimono.
Saya,may I link your posts to send to my friends? I won't copy and paste as per your rules,just link sharing! I'm a long time fan!
Of course, dear. Go ahead!:D
Anon said…
Mine is Kisaragi Station too! That stayed on my mind for a long time.